Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

Probably the most sensible post on this forum.

On the whole forum eh? Way to go mate, start as you mean to go on ;)

(That makes 351, I think, got to be a record now surely) :)

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the most sensible post on this forum.

This isn't just me registering under another name, I promise :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

351 a record? No way! The longest running thread I can remember (on the Coarse forum anyway) was "Angling Unity" started by Steve Pope I think?

Anyone sad enough to have the exact details? :D

I seem to remember there was some real long term ones on the Non Fishing one as well?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

351 a record? No way! The longest running thread I can remember (on the Coarse forum anyway) was "Angling Unity" started by Steve Pope I think?

Anyone sad enough to have the exact details? :D

I seem to remember there was some real long term ones on the Non Fishing one as well?

Sorry Budgie, just looked up Angling Unity, and if I'm right, Sept 2001, 266 posts.

Ok I'm sad, but I couldn't help it.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Bearing in mind that an overlong thread would make the previous forum software wobble and at some point, make it crash, I'm not sure the comparison is quite fair.

Some threads would have run much longer but we couldn't allow it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 1 year later...
Easy my friend, the livebaits I use are small, mainly upto 3 inches in length. They are lightly lip hooked and gently flicked out with an underarm cast. None are wasted, cared for they will swim around under a chubber all day long. If as has happened lately they are not taken, they can be released no problem, with barely a scale out of place. The trick to successful livebaiting is looking after them, otherwise it may as well be deadbaiting.

The small shoal fish often used (roach / rudd) are abundant in large quantities and inevitably natural predation will take a huge toll on their numbers before they reach maturity, for they are the predators natural fodder. They have in no way any sporting value and if per chance they are taken by a predator I am informed that this will undoubtedly save at least one other fishes life whilst the perch / pike goes away and sulks after capture. Any livebaits coming in dead after a take end up back in the water where they will make a meal for something or other, so in effect nothing is being removed from the system. On a good day you may use half a dozen, a 'hearty meal' would surely require far more.

The considerate use of livebaits and the removal of fine sporting fish, often of specimen size (honestly, who the hell would bother with a 1lb perch?) is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Had someone come on the forum bragging of using 2lb Perch as livebaits they would have gotten slaughtered, no doubt a few critics would have been the very people advertising their 'fine culinary' value today, yet in my eyes they would have been less of a blot on angling (just, mind) than the resident Ray Mears fan club.

eaten Zander and perch in Germany Zander is fantastic perch nearly as good , can see no problem in earing anything provided rules allow and is not a specimen fish and stock levels allow one or two average fish to be taken for the table , come on not every one will people like their food in plastic packs shame they do not grow like that

Yes but they eat frogs legs and snails too! :blink:

...and horse...of course all these things are culturally specific and relative to taste and custom. I personally choose not to eat freshwater fish (with the exception of trout and salmon) not for any great moral reason, just that I do not have to! I agree with previous comments that fish stocks are under so much threat generally that there seems every reason to leave them alone and little reason to eat them...

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

i remember back in my youth 30 ish years ago

we where night fishing for sea trout and ended up catching and eating minnows , we was starvin man just totaly famished .

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Best get your head back down Rev John!

Im reasonabley ok with most of the French's strange eating habits but I fail to understand why they insist on trying to eat large (upper double to low 20) Zeds? surely a couple of schoolies would be better?

Most disgusting though is their love of Ablet (Bleak to you and me) which they consume in massive ammounts (commercial netsmen target them on rivers like the Saone) fried and eaten whole guts,heads,fins and all Whitebait style!!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!