Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

200/1 odds. I'll take that any day of the week Bob.

Get a train or bus down here then Andy!! but I do not want any of your foreign fiver's, so make sure they are English...oh... and bring plenty with you mate.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had perch with a champagne and mushroom sauce in France once and it was delicious! Lovely meat, did not taste the least earthy and had no bones.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I've eaten just about every native freshwater fish in the UK (in which I include Carp and Crucian Carp).

The only ones I would bother with again are perch, zander, grayling, trout, char, river caught roach and bream, gudgeon, small bleak (cooked like whitebait) and carp.

I prefer to eat the smaller fish rather than the more mature specimens.

Christ Nick have You got worms? :);) ,

Pike Is fine The bones are whish bone shaped and evil, Smoked Perch are Beutiful eating albeit bony as well,

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Gozzer wrote;

"I cannot believe the hypocrisy of some anglers. Fish fatalities are a part of angling, intended or not."

My reply; I am against killing for the sake of killing Gozzer, but we have already agreed to disagree on this issue

"Bob, what you say may be true about the open matches you fish, but what about the thousands of club matches that are fished every week? I have seen fish handled badly by both club anglers and world champions."

My reply; I agree Gozzer and I am very forthright in telling em! unfortunately people don't like being told "you don't know your arse from your elbow" and so it goes on up and down the Country, but that is hardly my responsibility Gozzer, and that is what the issue is here mate, taking the responsibility of ones own actions and thinking about the potential damage deliberately killing a mature fish could have on the fishery.

"The practice of stocking every available drop of water with easy to catch small carp, just to satisfy the modern 'instant' culture, is to the detriment of the other species present."

That may well be true, but these venues would not exist at all and there would be zero fish present if the owners did not dig deep into their pockets and create such places, to my way of thinking they have every right to overstock waters they dug themselves and invested heavily in, taking fish from a natural venue for food is completely different, how does one know for sure that removing a 20lb pike for food is not upsetting the delicate balance of a natural venue?

Get a train or bus down here then Andy!! but I do not want any of your foreign fiver's, so make sure they are English...oh... and bring plenty with you mate.

Bringing the north/south divide into it? I don't bite so easily. Instead, I'll leave you to make a clown of yourself, all on your own. You're doing a smashing job so far.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hello again Bob, I'm not saying it's your responsibility that things happen in matches, and I know from past discussions that you are passionate in your beliefs. All I am trying to do is draw some comparison between taking a fish to eat, and all the other things I mentioned.

The very fact that we catch fish, and the methods and baits we use, has to have some effect on the waters we fish, be it good or bad.

I was against the abolition of the close season, but I realise that without being fed artificially, some still water fish would struggle to survive. I personally find this as disgusting as you do someone eating a perch, but it is legal, and I don't try to dissuade anyone from fishing there, or try to change the system just because I am certain in my mind that it is bad for the fish. I just wont go myself.

I fish my kind of waters, within the rules, with respect to the fish and the fishery, and try to help anyone who needs it.

PS. A 20lb pike would be crap eating, best about 3-5lb.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think it's interesting that at the same time as this is going on here there is a debate going on over on the fly fishing forum about the eating qualities of farmed vs wild trout.

I do get the impression that were I fishing, for example, Windermere, I would be castigated for knocking a half-pound perch on the head by people who wouldn't blink an eyelid at me taking a brown trout or a char from the same water.

Why the difference?

(for the record, I'm not planning to eat any coarse fish, I'm just interested in why people hold the views they do)

I think it's interesting that at the same time as this is going on here there is a debate going on over on the fly fishing forum about the eating qualities of farmed vs wild trout.

I do get the impression that were I fishing, for example, Windermere, I would be castigated for knocking a half-pound perch on the head by people who wouldn't blink an eyelid at me taking a brown trout or a char from the same water.

Why the difference

(for the record, I'm not planning to eat any coarse fish, I'm just interested in why people hold the views they do)

Exactly my point Steve.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Bringing the north/south divide into it? I don't bite so easily. Instead, I'll leave you to make a clown of yourself, all on your own. You're doing a smashing job so far.

What? that was an attempt at a joke, nothing more.... here we go again, why do you want to get nasty and personal?

Forums are about differing opinions , you may hold a different opinion to mine but do not start with childish insults because you have nothing constructive to add to the debate, is that crystal clear pal?

At the request of one of my fellow posters, I've started a thread on the subject of eating fish.

"I like Perch, I like fishing for Perch and sometimes I even eat the odd Perch. Would someone care to explain to me, what the problem is, without resorting to abuse? I can be pretty colourful myself so let's not start down that path.

A simple 'why' would suffice."

Perhaps you should re-read your opening comments AM... especially the insincere bit about "Personal abuse"

I understand that you are a pike angler and catch and remove fish for bait, you are obviously at ease doing so, but un-easy when challenged..it begs the question of Why bother asking in the first place? if you don't like the answers ..don't ask the questions.