sounds good for us customers

*Ant*

It's all been expected for some time! Basically the wholesale price of ADSL has been slashed massively since it's launch - from £15+VAT when it was first released, to what I believe is now under a fiver.

What Internet companies have done is try to offer you a bit more to keep your recurring rates at a 'similar' sort of level. Truth beknown, the 2MB services cost about a £1 more than the 1MB or 512k, hence most haven't given you much for free - but employed a bit of clever marketing to keep us punters happy.

When the trade price is sooooo cheap it then becomes viable to look at funding a broadband connection via advertising.

Of course, as Newt might confirm - Google are suspected to have plans for a potentially worlwide network of WIFI points, effectively giving the world free or very low cost internet access via a wireless connection. It sounds mad, but rumours are they have bought up a lot of dark fibre (unused leased lines etc), which could be used to transmit data, and they have recently filed patents related to an internet browser service funding by adverts displayed within the browser (or similar).

Still - our internet is £20 a month at the mo - which is all that really matters!

Ian W

I'm already a Carphone Warehouse customer......I use the Talk Talk service. So bring on some free Broadband. Anything to give me an incentive to ditch BT.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

little bit more on this story here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/10/carphone_broadband/

But I'd hang on and wait for full details, and are you guys aware that most of us who are on BT based broadband (even if it's sold to you by another ISP) are going to be getting free upgrades to 8meg over the next few months if you line can support such speeds

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2572 for more details on the new ADSLMAX product that most of us will be using fairly soon!

Mat

Mat

And yet there are whole villages, like mine, with 50 houses(+ 50 that dont) a school, pub all wanting broadband, but can only get dialup

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

It looks like quite a good deal, but not quite as good as this one.

http://www.tele2.fr/internet/index.html

I'll do a quick translation.

ADSL at up to 20Mb (depending on how far you are from the exchange).

Free, local national and international calls.

17.50 euros a month for the first three months, then 24.85 per month.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

we´re getting similar deals of up to 20Mb now but at 31.95€/ month.. bit dearer than you.

dave.

You have to add on the basic FranceTelecom line rental too. I forget how much but about another €7,5 per month.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote