TV programme guide gone

The Flying Tench

My TV is hooked up to a normal aerial getting a signal via the airwaves. For some reason when I press 'guide' on the handset the right page turns up but most of the lines are blank. Turning the set off and on usually brings some improvement, but many of the lines are still balnk and it's been gradually getting worse over the last few weeks. Presumably it's a problem with the TV itself. Is there anything to be done? It seems a shame to get a new TV when most of it is working OK.

J

john clarke

Have you tried a rescan ,things get upset when they dont understand something new ,if you do the out of box or initial setup it starts from the beginning again.

Sometimes just unplugging the tv and leaving it for a few hours nudges it into thinking its new again.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Have you tried re-tuning the freeview receiver?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Have you tried re-tuning the freeview receiver?

That needed doing recently, there were messages about it every time you turned the TV on, (even after I re-tuned it on the right date). :angry:

The same programme feature on my TV quite often has *no information* displayed, sometimes it will even lose it for a few minutes when it had been shown only moments before.

I don't think it's the telly, it's more likely to be lack of signal or the info is not being broadcast at that precise moment.

Are you using a separate Freeview box or are you using a digital tuner within the TV? Are there any other devices linked to the TV such as video recorders/DVD players etc? If so, do any of these have a digital tuner?

Is your aerial lead from the TV plugged into a wall socket or is it a cable that passes through the wall?

Has your area recently had a change?modification of transmitter?

Have any of your neighbours had similar issues?

Sorry for all the questions but understanding your setup might help to eliminate some potential problems.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thanks everyone.

There's no separate freeview box, it's integral to the TV. It plugs into an aerial socket in the wall. I'm not aware of any local problems or change of transmitter. No doubt it needs a re-scan or retune (afraid I don't know the difference) but not sure how to do it so will wait for my son to visit!

A clue might be this. If I turn it on/off with the handset it helps a bit, but if I turn it off at the set (ie turn the power off) it helps a lot. Having discovered that it's not a big problem - many htanks for all your help.

john clarke

One of the reasons for asking whether your aerial was plugged into a wall socket is that I had an occasional reception problem with my TV a few years ago. I swapped just about everything to no avail and was about to call in an aerial chap when I decided to check the only thing that I hadn't looked at, the aerial socket in the wall....I took the front off and was surprised to see great blooms of copper corrosion.
10 minutes of dismantling, cleaning and reassembling and everything was back to normal.

No doubt it needs a re-scan or retune (afraid I don't know the difference) but not sure how to do it so will wait for my son to visit!

Take a look at channel 80 - it used to be the BBC 24 hour news channel - you'll find there's nothing there, if you go to channel 130 where it is now and it's not there either you need to re-scan for the correct digital channels.

Step 1

Press menu on your box or TV remote control.

Step 2

Now select set-up, installation, update or similar option. If you’re asked for a password the default code is 1234 or 0000. (you may have already entered your own password previously)

Step 3

Now select the ‘first time installation’ option (sometimes called ‘factory reset’, ‘full retune’ or ‘default settings’). Press ‘OK’ if your equipment asks if it is OK to delete existing channels. This will clear your existing settings and find the new channel line-up. If prompted then save the channels that are found.

• Like 1