size matters?

tyurke

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Circles for me almost exclusively.

Different fish than most of yours obviously but as long as the fish has a bony mouth (as opposed to a sucker mouth like a carp) they do well if I can remember not to strike.

I use whatever size matches well with the size of bait I'm using and the size of fish I'm expecting so anything from #8 to 8/0.

Jan loves to fish for sunfish (bluegills and the like) and uses no other pattern. She does miss quite a few if they are really small fish but that suits us both since they would not have been much fun to catch if they had gotten hooked.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sadly tyurke, the circle hook revolution has failed to get a foothold in the UK. One day though.......

I use Mutu Lights in the larger sizes and Eagle Claw NT2050F in the smaller fine wire sizes. Not exclusively, since not all UK styles of fishing (bait and lure) favour circle hooks. At your end of the sport I've occasionally used the heavier Mutus to bridle rig live and dead baits. Thr same technique might work for pike, but I've never tried.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I've very recently started using #6 circle hooks for perch fishing (bunches of lobworms). Missed a couple of good runs through striking in old-fashioned style. I presume this whips the hook out of the fish's mouth before it has a chance to turn over on the lip and get a grip? Only 3 fish so far (including a big roach), so it's hardly proof of anything, but all hooked in the scissors.

Any advice appreciated here, including circumstances (Newt? Gerry?) where circles are a bad idea. So far I'm only guessing that this would include big baits like paste where the bait itself would mask the hook point?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I've very recently started using #6 circle hooks for perch fishing (bunches of lobworms). Missed a couple of good runs through striking in old-fashioned style. I presume this whips the hook out of the fish's mouth before it has a chance to turn over on the lip and get a grip? Only 3 fish so far (including a big roach), so it's hardly proof of anything, but all hooked in the scissors.

Any advice appreciated here, including circumstances (Newt? Gerry?) where circles are a bad idea. So far I'm only guessing that this would include big baits like paste where the bait itself would mask the hook point?

I'm only guessing that this would include big baits like paste where the bait itself would mask the hook point?

Pretty much a good place to start Glenn. The point and as much of the gape as possible needs to be clear. Not too happy using them for any kind of float fishing, they seem to work best on 'tight line' rigs. Ledgering, trolling, baitcasting ....in fact anything where there is no loose line between the reel and the bait.

Edited by argyll

I use Mutu Lights in the larger sizes and Eagle Claw NT2050F in the smaller fine wire sizes.

Gerry, how small do the Eagle Claw go, and can you point me at a supplier? Google not much use, and Ebay are all despatched from Singapore :)

Teflon coated and down to size 18. The only place that I've found stocking them is here

Drawback is that they are packaged in 50s, so it can an expensive experiment if you buy a number of sizes.

Got three different sizes in the house somewhere...size ten right in front of me but I can't remember the other sizes...think they may be 4 and 2...must check downstairs. PM me your addie and next Tuesday I'll send you a few of each size to play with.

Just checked the site and they also have the new Mustad C51S BLN in stock. smaller packet size, half the price. I was sent a few samples to try last year and they're nice hooks if ever so slightly heavier in the wire.

Edited by argyll

This shop has the same eagle claw circles at about $2 less per pack of 50. Not sure about shipping costs but the other shop seems high so these folks might do better.

Cabelas has Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp® L702 Circle Hooks - Per 10 for $2.70 and sizes down to #14.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This shop has the same eagle claw circles at about $2 less per pack of 50. Not sure about shipping costs but the other shop seems high so these folks might do better.

Cabelas has Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp® L702 Circle Hooks - Per 10 for $2.70 and sizes down to #14.

Cheers Newt and Gerry. I think a pack of 50 of the right size makes good sense over a few seasons. They're not going to decompose ;)