Smallest Pond You Have Fished

Guest rabbit

Bob McGregor's back garden pond! A kind of mini "snake lake"! He used to let me have some of his small carp (spawned by the believe it or not 15lb adults he had in it!) for cat baits.He prefered us to use a little 5' rod he had set up and was left in the garden as it didnt disturb his pond as much as a net would have.

Great fun when you hooked one of the bigger fish that would shoot of round the many bends of the pond! you couldnt follow as most of the windy bits were covered by netting!

Smallest would have to be a 5'x3' garden pond "stocked" with stickle backs and fished Steve Walker style as kids.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was about 14, a mate who was a couple of years older, had started work, and a bloke there had described a dead fish that he'd found, and asked what it could be. My mate said it sounded like a roach, but if it was it was a big one. The following day, the half decaying fish was brought in for him and was indeed a roach. When weighed the carcass was over 2lb! He got directions to the pond where it was found, and he and I went to have a look at the place. We found a small mill pond, about 50ft x 60ft, covered in duckweed. We asked permission to fish at the house adjoining the pond, and despite nearly being savaged by the owners Labrador, got permission, but also a quizzical look, because he was adamant that there were no fish present.

We made plans, and decided that maggots and worms were the best option, cleared a couple of swims, and went down 3 times a week for a couple of months. We caught newts, sticklebacks and made friends with the dog, who used to come down to give the two strange youths pitying looks, and share any food we had.

We might have been there longer, had it not been for someone pointing out that, we were the first to be seen fishing No3 pond????... and that Nos 1&2??? were more popular. We'd been fishing the wrong pond, the mill had two others behind a high wall, and were owned by the mills own angling club, with closed membership. Never got to fish them, but learned the hard way to do our homework before getting too excited about a water.

But youthful enthusiasm and anticipation was half the fun in those early days.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As a follow up to Papa L Thread, I posted that I fish a very small pond near me. Whats the smallest pond you have fished and what did you catch, or see?

A friend goldfish bowl :o:D:D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

8feet long x 5feet wide x3feet deep. Fished for Goldfish, only caught a couple of Carp

Den

And I'm old enough to remember watching the programme - Den. Funnily enough I shall be fishing my Sister-in-law's pond this summer - the IAC are having their own species race (No Golden Maggot though!) and Gina's place holds sticklebacks!!!! :rolleyes:

C.

What a blast from the past. Someones back garden in darkest Sidcup with Jim Gibbinson? My favourite was the pyrannah record. :lol::lol::lol:

ive fished my 5ft circular garden pond about 6 years ago, i put a small tench in there, cost £10 i think, and wanted to see if the was still about. i didne catch him, but i have seen him since, all 4oz of him, or her.

Garden ponds is one thing....it isn't serious; has anybody seen the tiny excuse for a pond situated right at the NW end of the M65 on the left as you approach the roundabout? I cannot believe grown men can sit there 'fishing'..... :headhurt:

Edited by Paul_D

Paul

Garden ponds is one thing....it isn't serious; has anybody seen the tiny excuse for a pond situated right at the NW end of the M65 on the left as you approach the roundabout? I cannot believe grown men can sit there 'fishing'..... :headhurt:

Even harder when you see them with long range rods,big pit reels and bivvies around similar sized ones!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Here? Doesn't look all *that* small, 200m x 135m.

By the way, Elton, it would be cool if we were allowed to upload Google Earth kml/kmz files; they're only a few hundred bytes in size.

Steve,

Almost but not quite the spot; I hadn't noticed that water from the road or it's not visible.....scroll to the left and look directly under where the carriageway meets the roundabout at the chevrons.....sad folk sit there under brollies.

Haven't a clue how to post a map type link thingy but the lat/long is "Puddle" lat=53.7172539397, lon=-2.67303144327

Edited by Paul_D

Paul

Steve,

Almost but not quite the spot; I hadn't noticed that water from the road or it's not visible.....scroll to the left and look directly under where the carriageway meets the roundabout at the chevrons.....sad folk sit there under brollies.

Haven't a clue how to post a map type link thingy but the lat/long is "Puddle" lat=53.7172539397, lon=-2.67303144327

Ah... 30m x 20m... These anglers, did they look like this at all?

product_444.jpg