Rod Spike

FearTheHands

I'm after a rod spike mainly for keeping my reel off the beach while rigging up/un-hooking etc. Ideally I'm after a hinged/fold up spike that is very portable & light.

I normally use a 2 rod tripod, but this is too big to cart everywhere when you are just feathering/lure fishing. Just want something I can stick in my rucksack ...

Any recommendations ? Local shop only has one length spikes which are not ideal ...

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

I seen an old guy fishing at the weekend and he used canes to make them! Three canes together, tied of at the top...Quite a clever cheap and very light alternative to spending 30-40 quid on something clumbersome and liable to rust!

Just an idea, probably doesnt answer your question...

If you are fishing sandy beaches a piece of 2" plastic waste pipe will do it (step the bore size up depending on what size butt cap you have) cut to length and cut a sharp angle at one end. it wont rot or rust and costs a few quid in wicks for a 6'section.You can push it into shigle but it wont last as long.

[ 26. July 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: five bellies ]

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

FearTheHands:

Do you mean this type of thing ?

http://www.dam.de/katalog/html/englisch/da...rutenhalter.htm

Yea the bits on the right, that should do for what you need, i did'nt realise you could get them so high, might get one myself for beach fishing, high enough to rest the rod if doing something.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

PVC pipe.

2" diameter pieces about 5' long and cut at an angle on one end. The end with the angle/point goes in the sand first - just twist it in.

Then comes the strange sounding part. Wrap your lips around the top opening of the pipe and SUCK the air out from the pipe. When you do this the tube will sink into the sand very easily. Just do it till you get it at the depth you want it.

Cost - probably nothing if you can find a scrap piece or maybe a little money if you have to buy a piece of pipe.

Weight - next to nothing

Length - if 5ft is too long, cut it into pieces and use connector sleeves.

[ 26. July 2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

FTH, I have one of those spikes from Lidls, let me have your addy and its yours mate, it will live in my shed for ever... :D:D

[ 26. July 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/