how much data

Phone

All,

Don't need help - just a question.

I have one TB of data with my plan. I got an e-mail I have used 85%. Only one who uses "data" is my daughter. I have her leave her google "thingy" on so I can locate her at any time. Is that what's using data? What uses data?

Phone

data will be used by ANY app or software that sends or receives information from the internet.

GPS, notifications, pulling data or pushing it to and from the web....

GPS will use a lot of data because it will be downloading map information etc

so yes, feasibly her, google thingy could be using your data...but having that one TB of data is a hell of a lot to be using!!

Just to put that amount of data into context;

1 Terabyte: 1000 gigabytes

An 8 foot stack of CD's or about 150 DVD's. It would hold all 350 episodes of The Simpsons or all 238 episodes of Friends. About 2 years non stop MP3s. About 50,000 trees made into paper would be needed to print out a Terabyte of data. 250 million pages printed both sides, over 10 miles high. Roughly 250,000 MP3s (2 years non-stop listening). About 2 weeks of non-stop DVD movies. 500,000 digital camera pictures.

Hummm

What you are saying is what I thought - the plan (Google) is fiber (fibre) optic 1-gigabit-per-second broadband service.

How could her iPhone 5? store that much stuff over a month? Where does it go?

Phone

Hummm

What you are saying is what I thought - the plan (Google) is fiber (fibre) optic 1-gigabit-per-second broadband service.

How could her iPhone 5? store that much stuff over a month? Where does it go?

Phone

It does not "go" anywher, once it has been downloaded it is thrown away.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Just to put that amount of data into context;

1 Terabyte: 1000 gigabytes

An 8 foot stack of CD's or about 150 DVD's. It would hold all 350 episodes of The Simpsons or all 238 episodes of Friends. About 2 years non stop MP3s. About 50,000 trees made into paper would be needed to print out a Terabyte of data. 250 million pages printed both sides, over 10 miles high. Roughly 250,000 MP3s (2 years non-stop listening). About 2 weeks of non-stop DVD movies. 500,000 digital camera pictures.

The Large Hadron Collider, when running at full capacity generates one petabyte of data every second. That is the equivalent of over 13 years of HDTV.

That would be an 8,000 foot high stack of CDs. In four seconds that pile of CDs would have grown higher than higher than Mount Everest. I'll let you do the math for your other examples. That's every second mind. In one minute that stack of CD's would be 97 miles high, over a 24 hour run that same stack would have grown to be 139,636.37 miles high. I'm guessing but I reckon that would be enough to store every piece of music and every movie and TV program the human race has created.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Phone, if I understand I have one TB of data with my plan correctly, that means you are allowed to flow data through your equipment until you reach that limit - maybe lifetime, or per year, or per month, or whatever.

Think of it as a 2 inch water pipe from a 5 foot water main diverting & flowing stuff you ask for past you and emptying into a lake. You can keep whatever bits you want from a coffee cup full to many buckets full as long as you have a place to store it (phone, PC, whatever) but you bought the flow limit of 1 Tb, not your storage limit.

Find another way to keep track of your kid and get yourself a cheaper and more reasonable data plan. You should be able to get by with a garden hose pipe that you turn on & off as you need stuff.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think you guys on the other side of the pond and us in the UK pay too much for our mobile phone tarriffs. My daughter in France gets unlimited voice calls to fixed lines and mobiles, any mobile, unlimited texts and unlimited data for about £22 per month.

• Like 1

Cory

Any chance of finding out who she is with?

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Newt,

""""1 TB of storage across Gmail, Drive, and Google+ Photos""""

Anyway I think the daughter has it sorted. Somehow I think today's music is involved

Cory,

$120/mo - land line; tv; computer - plus $37 for 3 cell phones (no alterations allowed in the plan).

Phone