Fish sleping habits.

Guest Ferret1959

I've seen this on three occasions Budgie, twice on my local canal, both times on the same stretch in about 5ft of water. The other time was on a lake in about 6-8ft of water. All were in bright sunlight, and all the fish seemed to hang at the same angle in each case. I too would like to know what others think may cause this.

Any ideas anyone?

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

.... On a canal where I saw this, several pike were in attendance, but I never saw one strike. At the time I wondered if it was some form of defence posture, to confuse the pike.

via Google : ".... The fish seem to go into a trance-like state allowing the divers to approach and photograph the scene"

As I recall, in Jurassic Park one of the characters reckons if they stay totally still, the T Rex won't be able to see them. Could be a daft theory of course, but maybe you're right about this being a defence posture. Makes you wonder how they'd take a ledgered deadbait though.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I would think the fish are picking a position that allows them to remain fairly motionless, with the least amount of effort. Even a stillwater has some kind of flow or direction. To fall 'asleep' and drift off, potentially into a danger zone, could be disasterous. Perhaps sitting at an angle allows them to make tiny adjustments, in order to remain static???

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest Ferret1959

Well just sent payment for my night vision so with a bit of luck might have some photos to show you all.;)

I've got night vision and I can talk pure nonsense.. I also wear my pants on the outside of my trousers.

What special powers do you have readers?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...