Maggots in the rain!

The Flying Tench

Whereas you can't realistically buy less than half a pint at a time at the tackle shop

You can north of the border. The newsagents where my mum lives sells maggots and you can buy them in little tubs, or they will fill a bait box for you if you don't want or need a whole pint. They sell worms and wasp grubs too ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

All,

The only American I've ever seen that consistently used maggots for crappie and perch used a large raw hip bone with 2/3 of the marrow removed. I never saw him with more than a double hand full at a time though. Seems to me from memory the maggots floated for awhile (?). Maybe animal fat on the outside made them float (?). He had a gizmo (apron). I never saw any maggots anywhere but around the bone.

Phone

Not a popular bait in the US

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest problem with chilling maggots in the fridge is the rest of the family. I fail to see why a pint of maggots needs to be met with hysterical screaming and a day in therapy. I have tried some of those arguments about minimising the the maggots in the boot, but it tends to be met with a pile of 'em on the drive when I come home the next day. Seriously though, Picking the Maggots out of the carpet in the boot of the car is a real winner at the village show ( how many can you put in the tub in a minute for 10p) and much more inclusive than wellie wanging.

If you really do not want to riddle the maggots, and quite frankly I fail to see why anyone would not want to do this, you are drawn down the route of investigating umbrellas and ponchos for the whole tub. This often does lead to all sorts of arguments about why should someone have to do this (presumed infringements of human rights....bloody Farage giving everyone the notion of an opt out clause) and another set of arguments about who gets what colour etc.(animal rights lot clear off!!).

Another top tip is to go for mixed colours, so you have something to do on a blanking afternoon, so relaxing, much better than therapy.

Alternatives to maize are worth considering, curry powder makes the little devils go like hell! Gound bait mixes are worth exploring to kill two birds at one go, the tubes of handy maggot glue come in handy, can give a caddis fly lava appearance.

"Muddlin' along"