Flavourings

singy

Carp anglers and predator anglers have been doing it for years. Using oils and flavours to attract fish. Sea anglers have used rubby dubby and know it effectiveness but how many of you have tried injecting your winter cod baits with salmon oil or enhancing that tope of eel bait with herring oil?

Sea anglers often sing the virtues of it's the oil in the mackerel or eel baits that prove to be winners so would it be worth taking that bottle of oil and a syringe next time you're 3 miles off the needles trotting a mass of squid from the back of the boat?

Singy

[ 14. October 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: singy ]

Paul Singleton

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any biologists out there that can tell us what extract could attact sea fish? There's something in these new artificial bait strips that works, so can we use that stuff in greater volume to set up a trail? I reckon fish oil is too crude, if a cod is foraging for crabs and worms would it be turned on by a slick of old pilchard oil? I dunno.....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I have used a fish meal based freshwater ground bait with some success to attract mackerel and garfish.

It mixes up to a paste which can be thrown into the water a little at a time. It has a fishy odour but it also attracts smelt and other small fish.

It is a good technique when used in harbours or sheltered bays with a calm sea while float fishing.

quote:

I reckon fish oil is too crude
Attracts carp, tench, bream etc though that would normally be looking for small crustaceans. I personally think fish oils could be worth a go. And whose to say that an artificial strawberry flavour wouldn't work? :) Certainly in carp angling the use of flavours is not generally utilised to mimic the natural food of the fish.

[ 14. October 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: singy ]

Paul Singleton

Worth a bash Salar, i cant see it doing any harm, apart from to the crabs that is

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Guest jay_con

I think you may well be on to something there.

Everyone else thought it was a poor idea when I mentioned it in the summer though.

When lobser and crab fishermen smash up crabs and use them as bait in their pots, they always catch a codling.

Guest jay_con

I heared of aniseed working before. Have a sniff of all the different types of crab and see if any smell of aniseed when their peeling?