Unknown water tactics

Gaz51

I'm planning a weekend session at a venue I have never fished before.

My initial plan of attack is to make up a few rigs to take with me. I know it's a crystal ball job but, any suggestions guys? The fish do go to mid 20's.

I have quite a bit of different hooklink material such as coated braid, non coated braid and mono. I also have the usual selection of leads - (inline, pendant, method feeders etc) plus a decent range of hooks from 18's to 6's. I don't know what the lake bed is like - silt, gravel, sand so imagine the best way forward would be to just tie up a few hooklengths and decide on rig set up at the venue. I just want to keep things simple.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

I'm planning a weekend session at a venue I have never fished before.

My initial plan of attack is to make up a few rigs to take with me. I know it's a crystal ball job but, any suggestions guys? The fish do go to mid 20's.

I have quite a bit of different hooklink material such as coated braid, non coated braid and mono. I also have the usual selection of leads - (inline, pendant, method feeders etc) plus a decent range of hooks from 18's to 6's. I don't know what the lake bed is like - silt, gravel, sand so imagine the best way forward would be to just tie up a few hooklengths and decide on rig set up at the venue. I just want to keep things simple.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Hi Gaz

My first plan of attack would be to find out as much about the venue before you get there, (ie) Is it a commercial water, and if so does it have a telephone number. If it does there is a good chance you could talk to a Bailiff or even the owner. Ask him as many questions as you can, like, how is the lake fishing at the moment, what swims are producing, what are they being caught on, what tactics etc. If they are any good at there job they should be able to tell you all the information you need.

If it doesn't have a phone number then when you get there i would suggest you take a good walk round the lake and look for any signs of fish activity. If anyone else is fishing stop and have a chat to find out if anything has been caught and from what swims etc.

If you don't manage to speek to anyone then you will have to rely on observation and try to find signs of fish. If you do spot fish, and if there is a vacant swim then that would be a good a place to star as any.

Most importatantly, enjoy it.

Hope that helps

Steve

Hi Gaz

My first plan of attack would be to find out as much about the venue before you get there, (ie) Is it a commercial water, and if so does it have a telephone number. If it does there is a good chance you could talk to a Bailiff or even the owner. Ask him as many questions as you can, like, how is the lake fishing at the moment, what swims are producing, what are they being caught on, what tactics etc. If they are any good at there job they should be able to tell you all the information you need.

If it doesn't have a phone number then when you get there i would suggest you take a good walk round the lake and look for any signs of fish activity. If anyone else is fishing stop and have a chat to find out if anything has been caught and from what swims etc.

If you don't manage to speek to anyone then you will have to rely on observation and try to find signs of fish. If you do spot fish, and if there is a vacant swim then that would be a good a place to star as any.

Most importatantly, enjoy it.

Hope that helps

Steve

Hi gaz

spend a few hours at the water before wetting a line

just look and listen, try and find where there moving and remember every water has a secret, use your gut feeling about it

have a good one mate and catch loads.

WHEN IM GOOD THEY NEVER REMEMBER

WHEN IM BAD THEY NEVER FORGET.

Do your homework and find out as much info as possible, most will be valuable but take everything you are told with a pinch of salt.

Try and get a look at the water before your trip, take a compass and get your bearings, if possible take a marker rod, paper and pencil and map out as much of the venue as possible - this can be achived by using marker rod and asking anglers who may be on the water whats in front of them (this can be confirmed if you fish that peg on the day with your marker or by leading around).

Before your session check the weather using metcheck, fish respond to weather changes and most fish follow the wind (using that compass and your mini map you can now try and figure where the fish may be and where they may head).

Now arrive at your choosen peg and look for features etc, these will determine your choice of rig etc.

I belive the above is called watercraft!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Do your homework and find out as much info as possible, most will be valuable but take everything you are told with a pinch of salt.

Agree with that, beware of wild stories and amazing hotspots. remember some will try and deceive you to protect their favourite swims or methods.

What's the name/location of the place? Someone on here might have fished it recently.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

It's A1 Pits near Newark John.

It's a bit of a crystal ball job as there are several pits to choose from and as yet am unsure which one to have a go at. :wallbash:

Whichever pit I settle on I will certainly chuck out the feature finding rod to get an idea about what's under the water.

It's A1 Pits near Newark John.

It's a bit of a crystal ball job as there are several pits to choose from and as yet am unsure which one to have a go at. :wallbash:

Whichever pit I settle on I will certainly chuck out the feature finding rod to get an idea about what's under the water.

spend some time at the lake if you can, and take whatever you are confident in.

that goes for bait and rigs.