dodgy XP problem and Linux

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

Don't know if anyone is running a less than legitimate copy of windows XP, but if you are you may well run into trouble soon with the latest incarnation of WGA.

There are a few "fixes" out there in internet land, but I finally had enough this weekend when even my legitimate copy of XP decided to stop working!

So I am now running a totally free of Microsoft PC, it was a very painless process, and took about 30 minutes to get up and running with everything working the way I want it. And with all the tools I can think I need.

I am running Ubuntu linux

Mainly 'cos I had a CD lying around.

It's very pleasant to have a PC doing what I want when I want without thinking that Mr Gates might decide to force me to download another "fix" for a problem I don't have.

Should anyone feel brave enough to want to wander down the linux path feel free to ask for help and I'll do what I can to assist. The good thing is there are plenty of real experts out there only too happy to help with any problems.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth
after my latest windows escapade im seriously considering the switch.

can you still run windows programs/games on a linux OS?

Some folks say yes, but to be honest if you want to run windows apps (but why?) and windows games then windows is the best platform for you.

If you run linux then run linux apps and linux games :)

I hate windows, but unfortuneately I can't live without it :( I have a desktop which runs all my mains appz, and my laptop has just got linux (i'm running under FC4 tho, waiting for FC5 to be out a bit longer).

From my experience of running linux, it is a lot more complicated to run. For example, to install a program you can't just double click an .exe icon and install it, you have to manually do it through terminal which is a bit like command prompt on windows. But still, its not brain surgery :) and its a very nice interface which is much more customizable than windows.

Personally I love linux, but unfortuneately, it doesn't do everything :(

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Tell you what I have been looking for nick..

Have you heard of any photo software that automatically re-names a load of photos at the click of the button? Fujifilm software doesn't work on linux :(

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Don't know if anyone is running a less than legitimate copy of windows XP, but if you are you may well run into trouble soon with the latest incarnation of WGA.

There are a few "fixes" out there in internet land, but I finally had enough this weekend when even my legitimate copy of XP decided to stop working!

I have had a message today (when I started the PC) telling me my copy of XP is probably not genuine.

The computer was purchased from a local computer shop who has traded for quite a time, years in fact, and still trades now. I have never had any problems getting the updates etc, and had no trouble downloading SP2, however when I tried to get the Microsoft beta spyware application recently, my PC failed the validation process.

Does this mean that my PC will stop working soon?

What about Windows designated programmes ?? Photoshop/Camera Software/ Printer Progs ?

Can these be run in Linux ????

The Older I get .. The better I was.

i had to start up in safe mode anddo system restore after Bill gates last update i could not get past the logon screen all 4 of the user names came up i clicked on mine but no box opened up for the password so i could'nt log on , my genuine copy of xp pro also failed the windows validation test i might give lindows a try,

i am seriously thinking about writing to bill in the USA and computer active magazine about this latest skr**w up from Microsoft.

:angry:

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Guest Jan V
I have had a message today (when I started the PC) telling me my copy of XP is probably not genuine.

The computer was purchased from a local computer shop who has traded for quite a time, years in fact, and still trades now. I have never had any problems getting the updates etc, and had no trouble downloading SP2, however when I tried to get the Microsoft beta spyware application recently, my PC failed the validation process.

Does this mean that my PC will stop working soon?

Are you trying to load the new "Windows Live OneCare" beta software, Chris. Newt has had that running on both our PC's for some time now and it's running quite well. I'll email him about this and see if he might add some technical wisdom here.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx and click the button to validate your OS load.

- if it passes and you still can't load the utility, call microsoft tech support. Free call and they can walk you through a fix.

- if it fails, the shop that sold you the PC goofed and needs to make it right.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President