strangest bait ever used?

I reckon this debate will be quite interesting??

Anyway I have caught crucian carp and decent tench using Maccaroni cheese. I think this is common theses days but when I tried it it didnt seem to be. The guys sitting either side of me did not believe me until they saw me pull another quality tench in on the stuff :sun:

Its quite hard to use on a float rod but grab a pole and its plain sailing.

I remeber back to the days of living in Wales and fishing for trout. My mate had run out of bait and decided to hook a slug? It worked!!!! Prob not the nicest thing to hook tho'!!!

Come on peeps, share your tips.................

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad ran a syndicate water in Leeds for many years. He also had a shop very close to the pond and the members regularly called in to let him know how they got on.

One member dropped by the shop to let him know he had caught several carp on floating bannana. So this becomes my Dads plan of attack for the next few weeks. Slight snag...he tried ripe bannanas, green ones and even rotten ones...they all sank. So next time the member dropped in the shop he collared him and complained of the cost and difficulties involved in getting bannanas that float. I should also point out that my dad is as deaf as a post. And Tesco's do not take too kindly to you taking in a bucket of water and testing each one individually

The member explained in a slightly louder voice he had been using bannana flavoured dog biscuits! :lol:

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

LOL @ Fastd.

Ivory soap (the white, floating kind) for catfish. Basically my 'bait of last resort' when the channel cats aren't having their usual. Fish it on the bottom as a pop-up.

I've posted about it before (this topic occurs every few months) and based on the similarity in eating habits between channels and Wels, I'd bet on it working for your catfish but as far as I can tell, no one has worked up the nerve to try it over there even though it has been a US standard for at least 50 years that I know of.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil
LOL @ Fastd.

Ivory soap (the white, floating kind) for catfish. Basically my 'bait of last resort' when the channel cats aren't having their usual. Fish it on the bottom as a pop-up.

I've posted about it before (this topic occurs every few months) and based on the similarity in eating habits between channels and Wels, I'd bet on it working for your catfish but as far as I can tell, no one has worked up the nerve to try it over there even though it has been a US standard for at least 50 years that I know of.

You could fish two rods, and put a loofah on the other one :rolleyes:

What is it with the Ivory Soap Newt? Rendered fat or something?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

A leaf from one of the Ficus tree family, used for Carnatic Carp on the Cauvery River in South India. Hooked a leaf on a size 10 or so single, then somehow got it in among a shoal 2- to 6-pound carp (imagine bream-Crucian cross on steroids) that were rising to leaves falling from a particular tree. Weird.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I was talking to a South African guy in India who picked up a chunk of the local rough as hell blue washing soap, sniffed it and told be it was the same stuff they used for vundu and sharptooth cats in Africa.

Strangest things i've used are some of the naturals, Snails (with shell), blackberries, woodlice erc. They all worked.

The one I keep meaning to try is Swann Mussell.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I was talking to a South African guy in India who picked up a chunk of the local rough as hell blue washing soap, sniffed it and told be it was the same stuff they used for vundu and sharptooth cats in Africa.

Strangest things i've used are some of the naturals, Snails (with shell), blackberries, woodlice erc. They all worked.

The one I keep meaning to try is Swann Mussell.

Caught Bream on park drive butt ends in Ireland,just for a bet with a twisted Irish chappy who lost a fiver

atb

malc

Mine has to be a crack light stick fished as a pirk in the South Atlantic in Grytviken Harbour!!! We were there to survey the sub which was despatched to sort out down there and whilst some of the lads dove on her we had a spot of fishing!! The water was FREEZING!! and VERY DEEP!! And I caught one of those fish that you see on the deep blue sea programmes!! The ones with the BIG heads and small body! And LOADS of TEETH!! I THINK it was an Arctic Cod after studying some pictures, biggest regret was NOT taking a picture though!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

In my teens I tried a lot of confectionary baits for carp.

Liquorice allsorts, jelly babies and the likes. Never feed them as freebies as I wasn't to sure how healthy it would be for the fish so just one bait on the hair. One particular favourite was strawberry bonbons, I'm sure they would be worth using today, get a nice fizz from the sherbet coating and they are hard enough to deter crayfish.

(who need richworth baits?)