strangest bait ever used?

strangest ive ever used was somesort of imaginary bait. i was about 7 or 8 and did not have a single ounce of fishing knowledge and thought that fish just loved hooks :D

This reminds me of when I first started fishing when I was about 8 or 9. I hadny got a rod so my dad put a hole in the opposite end of one of those plastic nets you could buy. He then attached a piece of string and a hook (probably the biggest hook I have seen). I then trotted down to the river which was about three inches deep and clear as a bell and proceeded to "cast in".

Guess what?? I didnt catch a thing!!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all new to this forum so here goes.

Being an avid catfish angler, several unusual baits have been chucked out, but the one that sticks in my mind was a whole wood pigeon (dead). Because the cats were occaisionly taking water fowl off the top, I decided a bird would do the trick. Now, I really couldn't (wouldn't) hook up a baby duck or anything, so I obtained a wood pigeon from a mate's freezer. I allowed the thing to pop up and actually had a run on it, which I hit far to early and missed!

Phil

haha yeah that reminded me of another chilhood memory, fishing in a burn few inches deep fishing for sticklebacks with a bit of bread tied to a string on a stick i also never caught anything

Did you have an unhooking mat?... :2:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi phil a and welcome to the forum.

LOL - I'd really have liked to see the attempted take on your pigeon.

Your profile doesn't mention location but do you mostly catfish in UK waters?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Phill welcome to AN,nice to see another cat angler.Not the same Phill A I know from Rackly is it?

I remember dead chicks being used by a couple of people at Claydon.As you say they tend to "pop up"!

As far as weird baits go the catfish world takes some beating

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I didn't know cats took dead chick's, i could probably get them from about 5p each.

Imagine the looks i'd get sticking them into a pva bag :huh:

I have used an ant before and caught a rudd, have also used a shot pinched on the hook and pinched onto a hair when fish are going crazy for hemp.

I once caught two carp on one rod, with one hook! Must have been getting ready to spawn and one followed the other into the net.

I once put a rod out for mullet and got pesterd by crabs taking my bread :huh:

I was fishing southend pier last year when a bloke near me ran out of bait, he took out his lunchbox and stuck on a prawn covered in seafood sauce and caught about half a dozen fish on that same prawn, even stranger was his rig consisted of a hook tied to the end of his line and about 18inch up he had tied a spark plug as a weight!

I'm sure somedays you could hook up a turd and catch :yucky:

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

about 18inch up he had tied a spark plug as a weight!

He may have been from my part of the world then. Spark plugs are commonly used when fishing rough ground where you expect to lose a few rigs.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi phil a and welcome to the forum.

LOL - I'd really have liked to see the attempted take on your pigeon.

Your profile doesn't mention location but do you mostly catfish in UK waters?

Thanks Newt. Yeah mostly fish for the cats in the UK, but have the odd trip to europe after a biggie. The run on the pigeon was amazing....really got the heart pounding. I think that's why I missed it, just hit it far too soon.

Phil