Beachcasting for carp

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

One of the pools I hammered last summer now has a right raft of rules attached (it previously had next to none) but the one that irks me is that beachcaster rigs have been banned. Why are some places so anti this style of fishing?

Is there a genuine reason that its not liked or is it just the old envy thing that they dont like a method that works really well?

Any thoughts gents?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about paternosters?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Does the venue allow 'standard' surface fishing?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Especially good for crucians, as in the diagram? :)

Is it a small water? The beachcaster method is quite noisy in that there is usually a large float and lead involved, and you seem to have to cast some distance beyond where the bait will eventually dangle. Personally I don't like to fish near someone using this method for that reason.

i was under the impression waters ban the beachcaster method because of wildlife, wether because of the fixed line or with the bait on the surface im not sure.

steve.

I think wickerdave has a good point about the size of the water and steve about the nature of the rig. Some objections could be:

- it's noisy and OTT

- it's usually a fixed rig

- it's effective, so you tend to get a lot of people doing it

- it can easily take over a small water

There's no doubting its effectiveness though. I don't really like it because I prefer creeping around looking for carp in the margins, but that's a personal thing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just look at all the floats bobbing around near lily pads, reedbeds, trees and whatever waiting to anchor some passing duck and it becomes pretty obvious why it's banned! If I'm playing a carp I don't want six feet of line and a dirty great weight being dragged around the bottom behind the fish, it's almost asking to get snagged up.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Hmmm, some interesting responses with no clear view emerging yet.

Elton, yes use of a controller by the looks of it is still allowed. They've banned the method, groundbait (unless its used in the cup of a pole), no boiles, no hemp and a few other things which I cant remember now. Its gone from a free and easy water to one thats run by the gestapo.

Wickerdave...yes thats true it does make a good splosh generally, but probably no more than a cricket ball of groundbait going in. I guess it depends on the distance you are fishing. If you are float fishing the margins then I guess a caster next to you is no bother but if you are feedering at the same length you might consider the splosh might spook off your fish.

Steve, I'm not sure why wildlife would come into it. I've set my caster up on rakes of lakes with ducks n swans and allowing for the very odd exception all see the line going to the bait and eat all the freebies leaving the hookbait untouched. This is in stark contrast to freelining which is a very risky mehod with lots of birdlife around.

Its fish safe as a snap off just leaves the fish with a 6 inch hooklength to carry around and with a barbless hook a fish shouldnt struggle to discard this.

Just look at all the floats bobbing around near lily pads, reedbeds, trees and whatever waiting to anchor some passing duck and it becomes pretty obvious why it's banned! If I'm playing a carp I don't want six feet of line and a dirty great weight being dragged around the bottom behind the fish, it's almost asking to get snagged up.

You need to look more closely at the diagram colin........if a fish snaps you up, it carries nowt but a hooklink with it.

You need to look more closely at the diagram colin........if a fish snaps you up, it carries nowt but a hooklink with it.

It's not what the fish gets left with that is the problem, it's what gets left in the water i.e. a float, a length of line and a big lead.