Waiting for a fish to wander by

When I look at session carp anglers I wonder what's going on. I ask myself 'Would I do this?' I think the main reason is a lack of understanding of what's going on under the surface. Say you wait 24 hours. Is it that 100 carp have passed your bait and had a sniff and decided it's dicey, and then one turn's up who's been on the bottle. Or is it that hardly any carp have been by in that time? Either way you'd think there must be a remedy so you don't have to wait 24 hours. (I'm not saying there IS a remedy. I recognise that carp anglers are skilful people. I'm just saying that if i was doing it I'd keep stomping around saying 'This is crazy, there must be a better way!'

The same applies to casting from a beach into the sea.

One form of fishing where you DO know what's going on is surface fishing. We've got a biggies lake in my club, and i used to catch them on the surface when they were smaller and not so wised up. But now you can SEE what's happening. Loads of big fish cruising around. Occasionally having a munch at the loose feed. Even more occasionally having a look at the bait on the hook and saying 'You must be joking!' I just can't bring myself to sit there for hours as fish after fish looks at the bait and isn't fooled. Basically you're saying 'OK, the fish have won. I haven't got a rig that will fool them. But if I wait 50 hours one of them will maybe make a mistake.' And isn't that what's really happening with baits on the bottom as well?

How do the session carp bods remain sane?

john clarke

Guest Brumagem Phil

....................Even more occasionally having a look at the bait on the hook and saying 'You must be joking!'.............

you need to introduce these wise old sages to the beachcaster :):):)

What do you mean, "remain" :lol::lol:

(sorry, couldn't resist. I have the utmost respect etc etc, especially as all of them are bigger than me. In fact much bigger, as they eat all through the night and then have huge fry-ups at dawn ... oops ... how do I edit this??)

{Here you go. I'll help you out

Newt}

fatcatchfishemanwithbasket.jpg

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

....................Even more occasionally having a look at the bait on the hook and saying 'You must be joking!'.............

you need to introduce these wise old sages to the beachcaster :):):)

Yes, I was really interested to read about that on the other thread. Easier on shallow water, though?

john clarke

Guest Brumagem Phil
Yes, I was really interested to read about that on the other thread. Easier on shallow water, though?

Maybe a little perhaps but not really a problem on deeper water (assuming you are not fishing scottish lochs!) its just a case of sliding the knots up the line a bit (or 400 feet of so if you are fishing a loch!!!)

I've just finished reading "To catch a carp" by Tim Paisley and friends. He more or less admits that, particularly in the winter, going for long periods without a bite until a carp slips up is inevitable. He suggests cultivating a state of mind that will enable you to cope with long hours of inactivity.

Guess it takes a very focused personality to make a successful carp angler (which is probably why I'm not one).

What do you mean, "remain" :lol::lol:

(sorry, couldn't resist. I have the utmost respect etc etc, especially as all of them are bigger than me. In fact much bigger, as they eat all through the night and then have huge fry-ups at dawn ... oops ... how do I edit this??)

{Here you go. I'll help you out

Newt}

fatcatchfishemanwithbasket.jpg

lol

:lol::lol:

u funny fecker

WHEN IM GOOD THEY NEVER REMEMBER

WHEN IM BAD THEY NEVER FORGET.