Camerons day out

Snatcher

Cameron,a young lad in the village had just started fishing this summer. He is keen

as mustard but his fishing had been limited to Drummore harbour. I had been having a bit craic with his mam Gillian who works in the village store and had arranged to take him to a couple of shore marks.

I duly picked him up outside Drummore Stores at 10.00am yesterday morning,hw was due at 12.30 so the timing was perfect. We drove over to Port Logan and parked up in the pier car park and started to tackle up. Cameron had a spinning rod but said that the lining of his tip ring had fallen out and was it still ok to use? I lent him young Snatchers rod/reel and he tackled up with that. After a short walk we arrived at the spot that I fancied. Cameron was ok scrambling over the rocks and the "leap of faith"(sounds worse than it is) did not phase him.

CR1.jpg

Cameron baited up his float rig with a lug/limpet combo that I had collected the previous day on Drummore beach. His float had been out merely seconds when it zoomed away and young Cameron was into a pollack.It gave a fair account of itself and I put it into a rock pool whilst I got my camera from the bag. A quick shot for the record and I unhooked the fish and returned it. Cameron said he was also keen on catch and release - good on him!!!!!

CR2.jpg

I was next on with two small wrasse in rapid succesion but after that the fishing just "died",as indeed it does sometimes. We then both switched to lures and spinners but these did not induce any takes either. Oh well time for a move.

CR4.jpg

I drove over to a spot on Luce Bay that I had picked up bass at a few days earlier. I rigged us both up with bubble floats and 4" Storm Sandeels. We gave these a good bash but induced no takes. I then suggested to Cameron that we switched to poppers. He had a rummage through my popper box and picked one that he fancied and I rigged up with my old faithful Yozuri Aile Magnet.We gave these a real good try but again nothing. Much to Camerons amusement a gull decided to pick up my popper!!! I feared the worst as I slowly reeled it in,convinced that it was fairly hooked.As it happened it just had the popper in a vice like grip and released it more or less at my feet-thank God.

CR3.jpg

CR5.jpg

Well it was time to pack in,fishing wise it was poor but I enjoyed the craic with Cameron and he learnt a couple of different fishing techniques and a couple of new shore marks. I dropped him off at the village store and told him I had enjoyed being "sensai" for the day.He said that he had enjoyed it and thanked me for the few bits of gear i gave him. I am sure we will be repeating the experience again,

This is your roving MOG reporter signing off - till next time!!

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Aye it was a pleasure to take him out :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

nice report and it was good that cameron caught something.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith