Keep out of the Water.

Zzippy

I went out for a few hours this morning to see if the Bream were at Durley Rock.

The sea was near enough flat and I soon got out to the rock.

x6hbvn.jpg

After a few hours of trying for bream I only managed a small bass and a few little bites.

I then decided to have a go at live baiting with Mackeral.After about 30 minutes of feathering,I finally caught 1 :)

My other rod was allready rigged up with a 6/0 Hook and no weight,as I was going to freeline it.

I was watching my rod nodding away,when all of a sudden it gave a big hit and the ratchet started screaming.

All that was going through my mind was ....BIG BASS.

It was 40 minutes till I got a glimpse of the fish.I didnt have my Camera,so I used the one on my mobile phone.I got a picture of it.To me it looked like a blue shark of about 4-5 feet in Length.It could have been a tope,But the nose looked too pointed and the fish was really dark blue on top.

As I went to Bring it alongside my Kayak it Bit straight through my line and was gone :( .I was only Useing 15lb line with a 12lb hook length.I just think I was lucky to get it in as far as I did.

I must say it was the best Fight I have ever had from a fish.I was useing my new rod with the 12lb tip,and boy did it bend :D

Here is a pic of it.Its not that good a quality though.

x6hjky.jpg

zzippy2.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW!!!!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I went out for a few hours this morning to see if the Bream were at Durley Rock.

The sea was near enough flat and I soon got out to the rock.

x6hbvn.jpg

After a few hours of trying for bream I only managed a small bass and a few little bites.

I then decided to have a go at live baiting with Mackeral.After about 30 minutes of feathering,I finally caught 1 :)

My other rod was allready rigged up with a 6/0 Hook and no weight,as I was going to freeline it.

I was watching my rod nodding away,when all of a sudden it gave a big hit and the ratchet started screaming.

All that was going through my mind was ....BIG BASS.

It was 40 minutes till I got a glimpse of the fish.I didnt have my Camera,so I used the one on my mobile phone.I got a picture of it.To me it looked like a blue shark of about 4-5 feet in Length.It could have been a tope,But the nose looked too pointed and the fish was really dark blue on top.

As I went to Bring it alongside my Kayak it Bit straight through my line and was gone :( .I was only Useing 15lb line with a 12lb hook length.I just think I was lucky to get it in as far as I did.

I must say it was the best Fight I have ever had from a fish.I was useing my new rod with the 12lb tip,and boy did it bend :D

Here is a pic of it.Its not that good a quality though.

x6hjky.jpg

Great story what a fight that must have been. For what its worth looks like a blue to me but cant be definate.

Lucky for the experience unlucky you didn't beat it and get it along side. :(:D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

My heart was racing so fast that I nearly tipped the kayak :blink:

In all the excitement I didnt realise how far offshore I had been pulled.I started off at about Half a mile out,When the fight was over and the fish had broke free,I was near enough level with Poole patch.Which is about 3 miles off Durley :oops:

Then the wind picked up,So I called it a day.I think I was in turbo mode paddling back :bigemo_harabe_net-183:

zzippy2.gif

My heart was racing so fast that I nearly tipped the kayak :blink:

In all the excitement I didnt realise how far offshore I had been pulled.I started off at about Half a mile out,When the fight was over and the fish had broke free,I was near enough level with Poole patch.Which is about 3 miles off Durley :oops:

Then the wind picked up,So I called it a day.I think I was in turbo mode paddling back :bigemo_harabe_net-183:

I know exactly how you felt Zzippy ---when I hooked into the great unknown at the Ledge in the fog I was shaking all over :crazy:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Good job you weren't in the Caper. Like the P15, they just look right and can handle 3 mile paddles no problem

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

If you haven't fiddled the colour balance then that bright blue back is an indication of a blue or a small mako (found over reefs - we used to get them on the Eddystone occasionally) - but the water should be too cold for them at the moment (what is your water temp down there, I bet it isn't much over 10 degrees.) I don't think it was a tope because although it is the right size it is the wrong colour - tope are either grey or brown. Also, how deep was your mackerel fishig? Probably only in the top 10 feet. You did well to hook it!!!

Can you estimate how long it was? Because blue shark weight is very accurate at 10lbs per foot of length.

It strikes me you should try and get a load of fish scraps from somewhere - anywhere. Filleting left overs from the fish quay will do a magnificent job. Make up a load of rubby dubby and go out there and try again. If you take 20lb class gear you will beat any blue that swims - they do catch them south of the Isle of wight, but not normally until mid summer - a sign of things to come perhaps!!!!

I just know a certain yellow scupper pro that would love to accompany you, complete with a 30lb class rod, Shimano Tyros reel........

Seriously, if you have some sharks in there get out again and target them. You might just have stumbled upon a nursery area. You have already proved you can beat it - and that was on 12lb gear. If you had a couple of bags of rubby dubby and several kayaks out there with baits in the water - use a ballon or similar to limit the depth to which the mackerel can swim (otherwise even mackerel will dive in cover to hide given the chance) - you stand an excellent chance of another hook up.

Bloody marvellous Mark. Go get em!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hiya Simon.

Hope you had a good trip :thumbs: I see you finally got yourself a red spot.Well done that man.

I wouldnt know how to alter the colour on a photo.Tonight I have just managed to get a site to host my Photos.lol

The water temp here is only at about 8 or 9 degree at the moment.Theres has been no reports of Tope or Smoothhound as of yet,So the fish had me baffled.

I was trying to play the fish and get a photo at the same time.

I am glad I did,as it bit through my line about 2 mins later.It was about 4-5 feet in length.Cant be sure as it was still under water,so it was probably magnified a bit.

I am going to give it another go next week.I am back to work tomorrow night.So wont be able to go for the next 4 days.

zzippy2.gif

Good job you weren't in the Caper. Like the P15, they just look right and can handle 3 mile paddles no problem

Speciman and I both did Poole patch last year in the Capers.Yes it was hard work,but managable.

But it was so much easier in the prowler.

When I got back to the beach a bit of surf was rolling in.The nose of the Kayak was being pulled under water all the time.I had to lean right back and stick the paddle in.Probably because the Yak is so long.

zzippy2.gif

guess who's going Shark fishing in the morning 5am launch! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5