Jungle Hooks

Ken L

4lb T/C sounds about right but as you say, its to do with the dynamics of the rod as much as anything and uptiders in particular do tend to be very tippy and unforgiving with big fish.

I actually quite like my uptider as a bait fishing tool but it's just to long to use for casting 120 - 150g lures all day - especially when you're sat crunched up in a tiny boat. My back and shoulder were killing me after two or three hours with a 10 footer so I definatly wouldn't fancy it with a 12.

I hear that Penn have some new products waiting in the wings that might suit what I have in mind, so I'll be waiting till the planned release in August or Setember before deciding whether to lay out more hard earned cash for yet another rod.

BTW. One of the 150lb fish was obviously a pussy. Was the other a sturgeon ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slodger. To far to either end of the scale is no fun.

I wouldn't want to not know that I was going to be able to afford my next meal whilst fishing thousands of miles from home. Equally, I see very little merit in travelling to a third world country, staying in a five star hotel, having a coolie to carry your tackle out to a pre-selected peg that's been prebaited for a week by your boy, getting comfortable whilst the ghilli sets up your tackle and rows your bait into position in the prebaited area, being plied with drinks utill you get a run at which time the ghilli will free your line if you're to incompetent to control the fish and finally net, weigh and pose with you with your well earned catch.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

slodger. To far to either end of the scale is no fun.

I wouldn't want to not know that I was going to be able to afford my next meal whilst fishing thousands of miles from home. Equally, I see very little merit in travelling to a third world country, staying in a five star hotel, having a coolie to carry your tackle out to a pre-selected peg that's been prebaited for a week by your boy, getting comfortable whilst the ghilli sets up your tackle and rows your bait into position in the prebaited area, being plied with drinks utill you get a run at which time the ghilli will free your line if you're to incompetent to control the fish and finally net, weigh and pose with you with your well earned catch.

LOL Very well put Ken. I can't say your description appeals to me either. I didn't really mean to infer that I'd want the 'Victorian gent stylee' holiday, just that I wouldn't much relish dysentry or kipping with the cockroaches.

Actually something that has always been an 'If I win the lottery' pipe dream for me has been the idea that I'd like to dip a butterfly net into an amber coloured Amazon tree pool and catch my own Neon Tetras.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

So go do it. You should be able to fly out and live the drem for a little over a grand.

If you wait till you win the lottery, it'll never happen - and you spend a long time looking at the lid of your box wearing your best suit.

Never had the chance or inclination to fish for Sturgeon yet Ken.The other 150+ is an Alligator Gar of 162lb.

Chris,I have never done my fishing on a "shoe string" for any other reason than thats only ever been the way Ive been able to! I would love to be able to have "luxureys" such as flying!,hotels!,all the reccomended injections! etc let alone guides and camp followers.Tend to agree with Ken though I wouldnt want to go to "Victorian gent" stylee though as it would detract a bit!

Seen some (ah sod it lets be honest!) absolute loads of the types you mention! Must tell you all the story of the "Bagshot Porta Potty Boys" one day!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Must tell you all the story of the "Bagshot Porta Potty Boys" one day!

Budgie what was the "Bagshot Porta Potty Boys"? Go on tell us the story then

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Seen some (ah sod it lets be honest!) absolute loads of the types you mention! Must tell you all the story of the "Bagshot Porta Potty Boys" one day!

Yeh let's hear it Budgie, even the title has got me smiling. :)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

No doubt the cynic in me is rushing to the fore here, but in my experience nine out of ten of the blokes I've known that have done the 'Around the World by the Seat of Their Pants' thing, have only ever been a phonecall to 'Mommy or Daddy' away from salvation.

Funny badge of honour that Paul, a list of tropical ailments..........

Me, I've never had much inclination to travel to the other side of the world to fish, but if I did I'd want to do it in some kind of luxury. I think you need to come from a cosseted Bourgeois existence to believe there's some kind of merit in 'going without'.

Nasty bit of posting there, Slodger. Ever considered a new name? "Running on Envy", maybe?

I was doing the travelling and fishing thing a long long time ago - for myself, and for no-one else. I took a lot of persuading by "Angling" magazine back in the late 1970s to even write about my first India trip. I wish I hadn't now: it only gets me poisonous little missives from people like you.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Nasty bit of posting there, Slodger. Ever considered a new name? "Running on Envy", maybe?

I was doing the travelling and fishing thing a long long time ago - for myself, and for no-one else. I took a lot of persuading by "Angling" magazine back in the late 1970s to even write about my first India trip. I wish I hadn't now: it only gets me poisonous little missives from people like you.

Yeh maybe you're right Paul. My apologies.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

No probs, Slodger. Matter closed.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.