Global warming

david t

I know this is a big ugly old issue, and quite a depressing issue.

But how many anglers are of the view, that our fishing is at risk from the effects of global warming, and how many think it is happening sooner rather than later?

I personally think that we are in the early stages of the effects of global warming, and that withinh 30 years there will be changes.

I hope we dont have too many people in our ranks that hold the same view as George Bush on the issue.

interesting to hear peoples thoughts and views.

dave.

Edited by david t

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of an open mind at the moment, I really don't think anythings been proved yet.

History shows greater temp variations in the last 1500 yrs than what we are experiencing at the moment, which seems to suggest we are in another natural cyclical change.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to keep our industrial output in order does it.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I understand that the rise in temperature is much faster than when purely down to cyclical changes in the fairly recent past. It also corresponds directly with industrialisation.

My money, and that of the vast majority of scientists, is on man-made global warming. One of the problems in today's world is that contrary views get a disproportionate amount of airing compared with mainstream science, witness the attention being given in the media to intelligent creation v evolution.

Add in the vested interests such as the oil industry, plus the fact that politicians hate bringing in unpopular legislation (whether the human race needs it or not), and you have a recipe for disaster.

From the fishing point of view in the UK global warming has (so far at least, and for most species) been an advantage. It's a complicated situation and there's more than one faqctor involved, but I believe one of the main reasons for some coarse fish records being much higher than a few years ago is global warming, or more accurately warmer winters leading to a longer growing season. The weights that have gone up the most are those of species that traditionally were hard to catch in winter such as tench, carp, bream and barbel.

What a further rise in temperature would do remains to be seen.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest tigger

Probably kill us all, drown, fry etc. :blink:

Tigger.

It took the Pike till last week to spawn in the Highlands waters I've been fishing this year and it wasn't that long ago, there was still snow on the ground. The deed was over and done with fairly early last year and had it been then, I may have agreed but I think we're jumping the gun a little. According to a couple of bailiffs and tackle shop owners I've spoken to, this years spawn was one of the latest in recent years. Also, there's no sign of any Roach or Perch spawning up here yet.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Although one possible aspect of melting N icecaps is that the Gulf Stream - which amongst other things keeps us relatively mild in winter - could be slowed/diverted/stopped, in which case we'd end up with a climate more like Newfoundland (so I hear ;) ).

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Interesting, I am of the view that the climate is a very complex system (just look at the accuracy of weather forecasts), and it will be hard to predict what happens where with any certainty. I also think that you will encounter side effects if you chip in to and burn up a large carbon store in the carbon cycle, which has taken millions of years to form, ie, fossil fuels. Surely from an outsiders point of view upsetting the balance like that will cause a change in other areas.

I think it is a interesting area, with all the little unknowns, such as the effect that a change in the climate will have on alien species in this country, and any changes in our vegetation.

So far it must mean bigger fish with warmer winters, as steve burke said, but i hope it doesnt swing round too far, and cause a drop in spawning survival with lower river levels and less oxygenated water.

and yes, im sure the oil companies could do more, but the fat cats at the top of the tree are probably unwilling to act in a morally acceptable way if it means a reduction in the thickness of their wallets.

im sure i remember hearing about one of the oil companies that brought out a company that had plans for production of a pollutionless car.

And why do all electric cars have to look so god damn ugly, if they looked normal, more people may buy them, but looking like a slug cross car, most wont.

If you go to;

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming....tent/index.html

Which is the US Environmental Protection Agency web site, you’ll find out what the Americans think about this problem and more importantly, what’s being done about it over there. When you’ve read it, will someone please post exactly what our government is doing perhaps via our own environment agency or in legislative moves through Parliament?

Regards,

Lee.

BIG topic, very complex, simple solution... we can't actually do anything much at all to change the climate. What's going to happen will happen. Just sit back and enjoy the ride or get off the planet.

If the tree-huggers think otherwise we will hopefully have time to change their minds as we all fight to cling to the highest peaks of our little island as it sinks beneath the melted ice-water, or alternatively freezes solid when the gulfstream shuts off, or bakes to a desert crisp in the tropical heat.... it depends on which tree-hugger you listen to.

Life's too damned short to worry about it. :headhurt:

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Have a read of Michael Chricton's "State of Fear".

Very interesting stuff.

He points out that although suprisingly accurate, many historical temperature readings are the work of universities and gentlemen scientists who were based/lived on the fringes of towns and cities. Over time the cities expanded to encompass these suburban areas and although there is a continual temperature record from many known points on several continents, many of these show artificially high modern temperature readings because of the urban heat island effect. Averaging them all out, we appear to see a global temperature rise which is in fact nothing more than a serise of local temperature rises.

He also states that far from receeding, the majority of glaciers are in fact increasing in volume and cites scientific papers to support his statement.

Of course, it's a work of fiction so the glacier statement and the papers that suport it could be just so much hokum but the heat island theory is very, very plausable.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.