Global warming

david t

Im not a tree hugger, but i do think its abit daft to be ignorant of it, although, i do see where snotty is coming from, in that i suppose there is only so much we can do, firstly in view of the fact that any current warming may be due to a backlog type effect, caused by CO2 emissions from a few years back, and only now is the climate playing catch up, due to the buffering effect of the oceans, not only as a CO2 sink, but also as a temperature buffer. Secondly i suppose that now China, India and slightly less so countries in the indonesia area are rising up, and starting to do as we were doing say 50-100 years back, and therefore kicking out their own CO2 and CH4 etc, any efforts from us or America to cut down will be pointless in view of the others increase in emissions.

Probably sound abit two faced, nowadays, it is often a case of being bombarded with all different views and answers to questions and problems, especially with the web, that i often seem to come up with more questions than answers when i look into an issue.

that said, its something i will continue to follow.

and regards america, i wonder if the media would tell us if bush took steps towards tackling the issue, or if that would ruin the current media picture of america, i have learnt to be slightly cynical of the media, and what they do and dont tell you.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a read of Michael Chricton's "State of Fear".

Yes, I have, Ken. And many of his, frankly, sometimes a tad odd lectures to some of the most Ultra Right, Oil Industry Groupings / "Think tanks" in the United States (for which, doubtless, he was very handsomely paid).

Me?

Last owned a car five years ago.

Last flew around three and bit, now.

Funny. We - Anglers - are people who often bang on about the deteriorating environment and about everything going to the dogs, yet are the first to whine loud and long over a comradely pint about how many effing hours it took us to get down / over / up to the Avon, Stour, Ouse, whatever...

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I gather you are refering to long journeys to far off 'wonder venues'. i agree, its kind of hypocritical to say we care for the environment, when we chug 100 miles down the motorway to a river, belching out fumes.

Do you get about via push bike paul? i admire you for going without a car, i do have a bike, trouble is its abit hard to get places with your fishing tackle on a push bike. Although, i did walk from borth to aberystwyth on friday after a days fishing, which is nearly five miles, although i wouldnt fancy doing it at night or in the wind, to close to the cliff tops to make a wrong move.

I wish that back at home i lived nearer to venues, like say the river thames, it would be nice to walk to and from the river, very mr crabtree if you know what i mean, also more relaxing than sitting in a car in a traffic jam on the way back from a river.

I gather you are refering to long journeys to far off 'wonder venues'. i agree, its kind of hypocritical to say we care for the environment, when we chug 100 miles down the motorway to a river, belching out fumes.

Do you get about via push bike paul? i admire you for going without a car, i do have a bike, trouble is its abit hard to get places with your fishing tackle on a push bike. Although, i did walk from borth to aberystwyth on friday after a days fishing, which is nearly five miles, although i wouldnt fancy doing it at night or in the wind, to close to the cliff tops to make a wrong move.

I wish that back at home i lived nearer to venues, like say the river thames, it would be nice to walk to and from the river, very mr crabtree if you know what i mean, also more relaxing than sitting in a car in a traffic jam on the way back from a river.

Hypocrisy, David?

No. I merely did what I did when I did in an age when nobody knew any better.

Some of us wised, though.

Luckily, as bit of an old hippie (but NOT as a consumer, if you get my drift), I did, and pretty early.

Hence my long long long foreign trips (and strictly no £10-flight whoring trips to Budapest etc in recent years, you understand).

PAY, fellas. We are ALL going to have to, and pretty soon.

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

PAY, fellas. We are ALL going to have to, and pretty soon.

Afraid I suspect it's our children who will pay. Which is double sh#tty. Paying for one's own mistakes is OK, having someone else pay isn't.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I agree, at only 21 i find it hard to imagine that life on this planet is going to stay the same for the duration of my life. It seems like people ignore all the real issues we face, i suppose its a fear thing.

I just think we are living on the edge, in this country in particular, i mean (slightly diverging) look at the water shortage, it seems a common thing now, to live beyond our means, this country is a small place, but it has too many people in it for my liking, there seems to be alot of selfishness and ignorance, very much a country full of people that live for themselves, and always look after number 1 as the main priority, with little regard for others.

surely the human race has over stepped its mark on this planet, and has now got to accept the consequences, its very much a take, take, take world, in so many ways.

I know it is the easiest thing to do nothing, and the most comfortable thing to do, but ignorance isnt a real answer.

There isnt a way out, thats the problem, cant get on a bus out of this place, we are stuck here, what with global warming, Bird flu, terrorism and anti-everythings, its lovely. Cant really blame anyone else either, cant pin the blame on tony blair like most seem to do regarding everything and anything.

I probably come across as quite an angry young man, but everyone needs to have a rant every now and then. only one way to cure the stresses of lifes little problems, go fishing.

I agree, at only 21 i find it hard to imagine that life on this planet is going to stay the same for the duration of my life. It seems like people ignore all the real issues we face, i suppose its a fear thing.

I just think we are living on the edge, in this country in particular, i mean (slightly diverging) look at the water shortage, it seems a common thing now, to live beyond our means, this country is a small place, but it has too many people in it for my liking, there seems to be alot of selfishness and ignorance, very much a country full of people that live for themselves, and always look after number 1 as the main priority, with little regard for others.

surely the human race has over stepped its mark on this planet, and has now got to accept the consequences, its very much a take, take, take world, in so many ways.

I know it is the easiest thing to do nothing, and the most comfortable thing to do, but ignorance isnt a real answer.

There isnt a way out, thats the problem, cant get on a bus out of this place, we are stuck here, what with global warming, Bird flu, terrorism and anti-everythings, its lovely. Cant really blame anyone else either, cant pin the blame on tony blair like most seem to do regarding everything and anything.

I probably come across as quite an angry young man, but everyone needs to have a rant every now and then. only one way to cure the stresses of lifes little problems, go fishing.

Excellent posting, David. You appear to think along the same lines as a sometimes angry man (for the very same reasons) who is rather older than yourself - me!

i do have a bike, trouble is its abit hard to get places with your fishing tackle on a push bike.

The way I do it :)

(Sometimes I can just get everything in the panniers with my rod and landing net handle strapped to the crossbar)

Some interesting stuff on the latest on the global warming debate:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMaste...6&tstamp=200604

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Good bit of transport you have there leon.

It seems easy for those who argue against global warming, for as long as they deny it even exists they can happily go about like nothing has changed, safe in their false knowledge (built upon by selectively only listening to the facts they want to hear, possibly circulated by oil companies) that they are free to carry on as they please, to them ignorance is bliss, but only in the short term.

In the 70's we were all going to die in a new ice age, in the 80's and 90's it was skin cancer from the now healing OZone depletion.

What produces more Greenhouse gases?

a)The world population of Cattle

b)The use of Cars and electricity industry.

Its the cows!!!!

These people have an agenda and will use any method, scare tactic, carefully worded report to produce stuff to keep them in a job. Lets face it if there was nothing for the Greens to report on, they would have no agenda.

Its important that we look after the planet, not just for our generation ,but its also important not to overreact.

Load of Bull if you ask me!