Tope Trip Wales

SpeciMan

ill make any date will you be doing a story on iy for a mag simon ?

oh i may need help with end tackle etc or ill just buy a premade setup think i may need to get a rod also i have a slosh 20 i think it is so reels fine atm guess all ill need is directions a map linky maybe :D would be great to bump into a group of fellow yakkers for a weekend also

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZZippy, Specimen, Darnsarf, Richi, Hong Kong - I might be down to Bournemouth/Poole next week - any days you planning on going out.

Hi Simon

Zzippy and I may be fishing the Skerries next Friday what with neap tides coming up and hopefully continued settled weather down here. Nothing definite yet though - will know later next week.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hungry Fisherman - yes to the first and no problem with the second:

Yes I will do a story on the weekend.

Tackle - if you are stuck I have a 12lb rod you can BORROW, a Grauvell Chorus, it is fine, it is what I used last year.

End tackle - I have 100 yards of 80lb mono to make up rubbing traces and some wire biting traces with hooks - so no problems there. You will only need a couple and we can always make up some more.

What you will need to do is get yourself a couple of wind-on leaders, tapered shock leaders used for beachcastaing are the easiset way to do this unless you are using braid - but as you will only be in 5 fathoms at most braid is not needed, standard mono is fine - 15lb mainline plenty strong enough.

End of wind on leader can then be attached to 6 feet of 80lb mono - which is attached to 12" MAX of 30lb wire - to an 8/0 Mustad barbkless ray and tope hook. OR a semi circle of about 6/0.

That's it, simple as that. Let me know if you want to borrow a rod. George will want one set up, so I might be able to provide 2 spare rods - first come fisrt served.

It looks as though the 10th is favourite.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon. Working Monday to Friday but should be out that weekend if you are still around.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

for some reason with the tackle talk about tapers etc i hit a brick wall visualising what you meant lol i have some greased weasel 80 ish i could use i also use that as my shockleader etc on beach casting

can i bring family members btw to the campsite ie my other half my lil daughter etc? maybe some friends who just wanna come camp and one who will fish of a beach :D was thinking maybe a 2 or 3 day event for me :D

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Hungry - it's an open campsite, who are we to say who you bring? I expect there will be quite a contingent of "other family members" - just so long as they don't get upset with all the talk of fish, fishing and kayaks!

Right wind on leader - use a tapered shock leader (Veals, 2 for £5 17lb - 70lb taper) You uni-to-uni the THIN end to your reel line (something around the 17lb mark, 15lb - 20lb anyway) then the THICK end serves as the top section of your rubbing trace. You attach a link swivel to the end of the shock leader.

Now, all you have to do is either attach a set of sabikis to the link to go feathering for mackerel, or a swivel on a 6 foot length of 80lb mono to extend the rubbing trace to a safe length. We found last year that 6 feet on its own was not reliable - the odd big fish cut the thin running line above the rubbing trace. Using this method the rubbing trace is about 15 feet long - but it runs through the rings easily.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

lo evers ty for info i have a m8 who wants to come for the fishing on a beach but he is also dead keen on buying a kayak i told him its a get together and we are after tope and he is bouncing up and down to join in

do any of you guys actually live near the camp area or is anyone bringing a spare kayak :D ill buy a pair of 12 lb class boat rods so i can loan him one but will like to ask if i could hire or loan a kayak and pfd for the day he has a 5 mm shorty for protection

i may well have me my missus baby m8y and missus another m8y and missus lol they love to camp hehhe but just the one kayak that i know of for now :D will pay for rental :D

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Hi all,

I'd like to tag along for the tope weekend. I have cleared it in principle with the missus for any of the weekends, but 10th would be favourite....I would take 9th off work and make a weekend of it.

Given other commitments over the next few weekends its likely that this would be my first fishing trip on the yak, so you may get a laugh or two at my expense.

I have plenty of kit for making up traces etc, so anyone without end tackle doesn't need to worry.

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Fingers crossed for a calm sunny weekend.

Mike

lo ppl just had a chat with me friends we are gonna leave the baggage at home and only me and two m8's will come one loves fishing the other just like paddling around on kayaks we will turn up on friday evening spend saturday doing stuff head back sunday at a guess

they will have to watch the show from the beach i was thinking maybe i could paddle out a mackerel bait for me buddy see if he can hook one from the shore :D was thinking a lead with a ballon swivel trace clipped to it bit like an over sized garfish rig i use sometimes lol

as its two of em tagging along ittl be too big a liberty to ask for two loan kayaks even if one had already volunteered to be a photo goffer etc :D

any way im really looking forward to this trip it will fun just to have a chat and a few drinks and a macky bbq with like minded lunatics

i was thinking would the fladden full carbon 10/ 20 be adequate for this trip or should i get the 20/30 as there real thin rods anyway the 20 / 30 will still give an excellent response??

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Hake

Dont worry about it. I know a few experienced hands that have provided the laughs, some personally. :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)