Mullet oh those wiley buggers!

madagascar

It is a learning curve right enough!! Planning to have a real good go this year at the Mull of Galloway mullet. Hopefully via the fly fishing route. Just made up some weed/bread/harbour rag lures up today for the job. If any mullet guys out there want a few to try just pm me.No cost :)

Thing is you can try them with a controller float :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a learning curve right enough!! Planning to have a real good go this year at the Mull of Galloway mullet. Hopefully via the fly fishing route. Just made up some weed/bread/harbour rag lures up today for the job. If any mullet guys out there want a few to try just pm me.No cost :)

Thing is you can try them with a controller float :)

Tried all sorts of artificals before but the mullet can just tell they are not real.

Good luck though I hope it works for you!

Tried all sorts of artificals before but the mullet can just tell they are not real.

Good luck though I hope it works for you!

The offer is still there :) In fact any mullet guys out there got a lure/fly idea for the mullet will gladly tie up a few for you to experiment with,no cost. This is all research :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Re. hooklink materials. I tried Kryston Multistrand, split (divided) so 15lb BS became approx 6/7lb BS; I also tried fluorocarbon in approx 6lb BS. Both worked okay, but I gave up on the fluorocarbon because I lost trust in the stuff. Multistrand is worth using, though.

For the past three seasons I've relied wholly on Shimano Exage 5lb BS, direct to a size 10 Kamasan B980. I don't think I get fewer bites on that combination than I did on either fluoro or Multistrand. 5lb Exage actually breaks at about 7lb - it's very fussy as regards how it's knotted, though (just once through the eye and four turns Grinner/Uni; same combination for tucked half-blood).

One more thing: very soft hookbaits are, I believe, an advantage. I use cubes of compressed crumb (a bit like large bread punch), which reconstitutes in the water to form a very soft cube that stays on the hook but offers no impediment to the strike.

The real secret to mullet fishing, though is BMP (Bloody-Minded Persistence)!

I went out on my first mulleting trip of the season this afternoon (sun). Blanked.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have also had two tries for the mullet this year, as have always fancied a go. Am using 8lb (brown) mono straight through on a very light spinning rod (cant justify a new rod for this).

From what you guys are suggesting, the mono may be too heavy?

I know I also need to tipex my hooks- a tip Chippy gave me some time ago.

B.A.S.S. member

I have also had two tries for the mullet this year, as have always fancied a go. Am using 8lb (brown) mono straight through on a very light spinning rod (cant justify a new rod for this).

From what you guys are suggesting, the mono may be too heavy?

I know I also need to tipex my hooks- a tip Chippy gave me some time ago.

I use about 6lb line and i never put tippex on my hooks, just bread flake.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I use about 6lb line and i never put tippex on my hooks, just bread flake.

I'll use 8lb when fishing in very snaggy areas (barnacles slice through line like razor-blades) and expect to hook into good sized fish.

Otherwise I'd normally use 6lb line with a 4lb hooklength.

Sometimes I'll go as light as 2lb if fish are feeding but I'm not getting any bites, but that can be scary if you hook into a good-sized fish (fun though!)

Obviously you don't want to go down to 2lb if the rod you are using is too stiff for such a line.

A flick of the tail and the mullet will have snapped you off, whereas a rod with a lighter tip will absorb such sudden jerks, giving you time to respond by releasing line if the fish takes off.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

some good tips by leon in sea angler this month too!

well done leon m8

hope to put it to good use this summer

any advice re rod

have beach casters def non no

2 1/2 lb carp rod

spinning ords ? weights

fly rods 7/8 w

or is it another rod reqd :rolleyes: ?

being a out of the closet tackle tart :sun:

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS