Fishing can be so so cruel........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

OI OI OI,

guess who the clever boy was tonight who went for round two and picked up a clonking 16 lb linear mirror!!! :):):)

I'm not one for keeping fish out the water for too long, but I couldnt stop examining this blighter.........stunning scaling and his mouth was immaculate (bar one tiny puncture hole from my hook).

I just can't believe people dont fish this lake for carp! Their loss :)

I might run this thread like a blog B)

Edited by Brumagem Phil

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OI OI,

great news phil & well done m8 if i were you i would keep it to myself, but thats just me lol

:fishing::fishing::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Guest Brumagem Phil

Cheers chewy and Bill. Its a real thrill catching fish which have not been caught before! I fished it a few times last summer but only caught a couple of carp but this year decided to be a bit more dedicated hence the pre baiting.

The fact I've had 3 fish in 2 days (and the amount I saw rolling the first night) suggests there are more carp in there than I first thought.

I've mentioned this lake to rakes of people in the past but people either tell me I'm bonkers as "there aint any carp in that lake" or continue fishing the local prolific carp fishery. As the old saying goes, you can take a horse to water but you cant make it fish for carp :P

Off for another go a bit later but on taxi duty tonight so might just miss the best feeding period which appears to be between 10pm and 11pm.

Hope you dont mind me blogging away here? :)

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well a blank for me tonight. Had one run around 1.30am but once again lost the fish after drawing him through the weeds (quite easily and quickly this time). Same rod and setup as the lost fish 2 nights ago too. I'm using quite a fine wire hook (a small size 8) so might go and restock with some high quality hooks tomorrow. I normally use ESP raptors (size 6).

The good news was the lake was quite still tonight and I caught sight of numerous carp crashing around, including a couple crashing about in the weed bed so my guess is they are now spawning and the fishing will go a bit quiet for the next few weeks.

Spoke to a couple of old boys who fished the lake 10 years ago and know its history going back over 40 years. (they remembered me from my little go at that lake last year) They told me where the common carp came from.......said some fellah claimed the fish were all stunted in his fishery and proceeded to bring a bucket of common carp about 6 inches in length up to this lake and chucked em in everyday for about a fortnight. That was between 25 and 30 years ago according to his memory.

The one gave me a pointer of another spot on the lake thats worth fishing too going by his fairly old experience......he said he hadnt fished the lake for best part of 10 years.

I asked how many other people fish for the carp........they both laughed and said nobody. Music to my ears :)

G'nite

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thought the bad weather might slam the fish on the bottom so had another bash tonight between about 9pm and 12.30am............took just the one fish, an 8 lb common. At least the weather forecast was right and the rain and wind pretty much vanished when I got there which was nice.

Whaled a load more bait in before I left.........if I keep this up, I'll create a little island of bait :)

I asked how many other people fish for the carp........they both laughed and said nobody. Music to my ears :)

Heaven!

Try to avoid telling the locals about your success or that will change very soon, and there'll be bivvies and bolt rigs everywhere. It might sound paranoid and a bit OTT but it's bound to happen.

Fishing for carp is a real pleasure. 'Carp fishing' in the modern sense, with all it entails, is a pretty ugly scene.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Brumagem Phil

I hear what you are sanying anderoo. :(

The odd thing is, its no secret the fish are in there. All the locals know, but the reason I think nobody fishes for em is purely because of its proximity to a prolific commercial carp fishery.

I mean why trek to a pool that hardly has any carp in it when you can set up right next to the car park andhave a fish a chuck? Thank heaven for lazy human psychology eh! :):)

In the tackle shop i explained how I'd lost fish AFTER drawing them through the weeds and he suggested the thin wire hook was elongating the hole with the pressure allowing it to slip the hook once in clear water. I'm not a fan of barbed hooks, but allowed him to talk me into so micro barbed hooks. The fish I had last night was hooked very securely and even after a big tussle through the weeds his hookhold looked perfect. I'll continue to use them whilst I'm fishing so close to weed as all bar one of my fish has made a B line for the green stuff and see what my opinion is on the barbs after a bit more use.

I agree, nothing wrong with barbed hooks, especially in that situation.

When I was younger I used to fish a gravel pit in Norfolk, and everyone knew there were a few carp in there. Everyone used to floatfish for skimmers, roach, the odd crucian and tench. One day I saw a bloke stalk a bloody great carp from the margins. I started to investigate and found a few swims where they tucked themselves away in the reeds, and went on to catch quite a few, up to 22lb (still my pb), all after school in summer on floating bread cast into the reeds. I worked saturdays in a tackle shop and soon people were coming in and asking about the place because they'd heard carp were being caught (they didn't know I was one of the people fishing for them) and it all went downhill fairly quickly.

Word spreads fast where carp are involved! But congrats for being there first, and it may take a long time for people to make the effort, especially if there's a commercial next door. :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music