Guest Brumagem Phil

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brumagem Phil

Had a chat with the bailliff and he seemed to think that the fish were about to spawn and got put off by the cold spelkl we had and went away and shoaled up somewhere waiting for conditions to improve.

Well, with the weather (and water temperature) rapidly improving I popped up last night. Only stayed a couple of hours as I got a bit sunburned yesterday and was in a little discomfort. Had one aborted run and saw the activity of 3 or 4 fish so I reckon its about to turn back on again! :)

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well, another 2 evenings and another 2 skimmers under my belt!!! :(

Loads of carp activity last night rolling in and around the weeds. Not so much tonight but one cheeky sod kept wagging his tail at me like a V sign for 10 minutes. I got so fed up of his cheek that I took my shoes and socks off and went in after him with my landing net but spooked him at the last moment.

Need to find out now approximately how long they spawn for and if they hang around the same area feeding up for a while after they have finished.

Lovely weather now though for fishing in the evening.

I got so fed up of his cheek that I took my shoes and socks off and went in after him with my landing net but spooked him at the last moment.

Lovely weather now though for fishing in the evening.

You really went in after it? It will be a bow and arrow approach next :).

You're right about the weather. Don't the carp show any interest on the surface there, especially now it's warmed up?

Guest Brumagem Phil
You really went in after it? It will be a bow and arrow approach next :).

You're right about the weather. Don't the carp show any interest on the surface there, especially now it's warmed up?

Yeah, of course I went in after him!!! I prefer rod n line, but if I have to wrestle him onto the bank its still a capture :P:P:lol::lol:

They dont seem to take surface baits but I might take a bit of crust up with my and chuck it in the weeds to see. IF they take it, it'll be HEAVY braid, hook and hold and go in to net him! :rolleyes:

Its PERSONAL now! LOLOLOL!

Phil, this may be a stupid question, and no offence intended, but, are you sure all the groundbait and feed you put in is being eaten, and not just lying there souring the swim? Just a thought mind. :unsure:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Brumagem Phil
Phil, this may be a stupid question, and no offence intended, but, are you sure all the groundbait and feed you put in is being eaten, and not just lying there souring the swim? Just a thought mind. :unsure:

I'd given that some consideration gozzer, but there are some huge shoals of bream inthe lake and the fact I've been catching the odd one on my broomsticks and meat hooks suggests they are there and hungry!

I have moved around a little too to see if that makes any difference...........nothin.

Its just the spawning issue I think. My local commercial carp lake acts like its been netted around this time of year too.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Moved to the other side of the weedbed tonight where no bait had been chucked in........same result, no carp.

Oddly the lake was dead calm yet there were no evening rings on the surface, or any other visible signs of fish yet the past two days they have been very obvious by their splashings and crashings.

Just cant get my head around this lake at all now. :(

Guest Brumagem Phil

Took a walk today around the whole lake. Down the other end from where I normally fish is a nice long weedbed.........I had my shorts on so went wading (my waders are still with svenson sports for replacement appraisal). In a stretch of no more than 20 yards I got within a yard or two of no less than 8 nice carp.

I fished the area tonight just to test gozzers idea (I take all advice seriously)........but no, nothing. Once the light faded, the activity in the weeds ceased and the lake may as well have been dead. I even fished one rod at a bit more distance with the bail arm open and a coin on the line with a worm on the hook but not even a bream cruised by.

Good news.......more carp sighted.

Bad news.........catching carp in the rivers is easier!

Think I may give this lake a break for best part of a week while they finish spawning and then will attack it again with a baiting campaign. I'm sure there are good fish to be had in here, just a case of being patient and persistent.

Thanks to anyone who is still looking in on this thread from time to time.