Fishing can be so so cruel........

Guest Brumagem Phil

If you've read Phils post above, then you might recognise a situation that I have been ranting about on here for a while, (and a lot longer before I joined AN).

That is the 'modern' trend of anglers coming into the game, and straight into the keenly promoted carp or big fish scene. This might be OK if the person has someone to teach them the ropes, but IMO, if they haven't, then it's a recipe for disaster in some cases.

Phil started this way, and as far as I am aware copes with large fish well. The irony of it is that his experience with smaller species is somewhat lacking. It is a situation that he is not familiar with, and was not prepared for. He describes his problems and asks for positive input, to help deal with any similar situations in the future. I can see nothing wrong with that. In fact it is a valuable lesson to any newbies that might feel frightened to post of such things in case they get attacked on the forum, as being negligent, at best, or even incompetent. Editing such things out, will make them think that either it only happens to them, or it's just one of those things that can't be helped.

If you are fishing heavy gear and big hooks, you don't necessary think in terms of small fish swallowing the hook. Yes, I know it happens, and because I'm not big fish specific in my approach to my angling then I'm usually prepared. On occassions I have been fishing for roach or chub and caught pike, should I have been set up to cope with pike, or had extra long forceps, wire cutters and a glove handy? Not many match anglers I know of do.

When I mentioned other posts I didn't say I thought them "inane", just that questions were being asked, (obviously by newcomers or youngsters) that wanted a quick fix, and instant success, and are posted without any thought being put into the question. These are the ones that worry me. The ones that are 'sucked in' by all the hype and kudos that seems to surround certain sections of angling.

As many have said, Phils 'Blog' has been helpful, entertaining, and an interesting read, to most. I think you find yourself in the minority if you think different. ;)

Oh, and it's said that patience is a virtue, I'd add tolerance to that as well. :)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rabbit
Hi there Rabbit,

If you've read Phils post above yours, then you might recognise a situation that I have been ranting about on here for a while, (and a lot longer before I joined AN).

That is the 'modern' trend of anglers coming into the game, and straight into the keenly promoted carp or big fish scene. This might be OK if the person has someone to teach them the ropes, but IMO, if they haven't, then it's a recipe for disaster in some cases.

Phil started this way, and as far as I am aware copes with large fish well. The irony of it is that his experience with smaller species is somewhat lacking. It is a situation that he is not familiar with, and was not prepared for. He describes his problems and asks for positive input, to help deal with any similar situations in the future. I can see nothing wrong with that. In fact it is a valuable lesson to any newbies that might feel frightened to post of such things in case they get attacked on the forum, as being negligent, at best, or even incompetent. Editing such things out, will make them think that either it only happens to them, or it's just one of those things that can't be helped.

If you are fishing heavy gear and big hooks, you don't necessary think in terms of small fish swallowing the hook. Yes, I know it happens, and because I'm not big fish specific in my approach to my angling then I'm usually prepared. On occassions I have been fishing for roach or chub and caught pike, should I have been set up to cope with pike, or had extra long forceps, wire cutters and a glove handy? Not many match anglers I know of do.

When I mentioned other posts I didn't say I thought them "inane", just that questions were being asked, (obviously by newcomers or youngsters) that wanted a quick fix, and instant success, and are posted without any thought being put into the question. These are the ones that worry me. The ones that are 'sucked in' by all the hype and kudos that seems to surround certain sections of angling.

As many have said, Phils 'Blog' has been helpful, entertaining, and an interesting read, to most. I think you find yourself in the minority once again mate. ;)

Oh, and it's said that patience is a virtue, I'd add tolerance to that as well. :)

John.

Bloody Hell! what happened? :unsure: Was I seeing things? Have I struggled to type this lot and it's gone :o If it's been deleted, then my reply might as well go as well. :)

I don't mind you challenging me on anything i type. however you say i am in the minority once again for my opinion. Now how the hell do you know that?

Tell you what there a just perhaps too many folk who do not wish to rock the boat for fear of reprisals, yep it happens, mod approval, account suspended, its has happened to me, and it has happened to others.

But when I read such admissions of carelessness, such as cutting the line and throwing (the ruffe) back in the canal, it stirs my emotions, so I will defend my position, and I would thank you to not construct a theory that I am in the minority .

As far as patience is concerned just how much should we subscribe, just how much can a person ignore good advice, and then almost gloat at there own failures again.

Well I wish you good luck with your patience I would prefer a course of get a grip man!!

I don't mind you challenging me on anything i type. however you say i am in the minority once again for my opinion. Now how the hell do you know that?

Tell you what there a just perhaps too many folk who do not wish to rock the boat for fear of reprisals, yep it happens, mod approval, account suspended, its has happened to me, and it has happened to others.

But when I read such admissions of carelessness, such as cutting the line and throwing (the ruffe) back in the canal, it stirs my emotions, so I will defend my position, and I would thank you to not construct a theory that I am in the minority .

As far as patience is concerned just how much should we subscribe, just how much can a person ignore good advice, and then almost gloat at there own failures again.

Well I wish you good luck with your patience I would prefer a course of get a grip man!!

I was just refering to the number of posts that are in favour of the blog. I can't count the opinions of those who don't post, I'm not a mind reader.

I haven't seen any gloating, or ignoring of constructive advice either.

As for patience , then you either got it or you ain't.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well why don't you do what Ihave done when challenged and create a poll and allow the boards members to offer their opinions? Are you man enough to allow your opinions to be judged by your peers?

Never happened to me and I'm not one for keeping my opinions quiet! Perhaps its just that I know where to draw the line, or the fact I don't go hounding people that keeps my account in order?

What was careless about it? This fish was no bigger than my finger, and any attempt to get the hook out (I did appraise the situation carefully) would have ended in the fishes death. By throwing it back it at least has the chance of shedding the hook.......a small chance IMO, but a small chance is a better option than certain death.

I've not actually seen you offer ANY advice yet, let alone good advice! :rolleyes:

As for people gloating over their own failures..........don't be so hard on yourself neil! :P Come on, be nice for a change instead of all bitter and nasty. Been there myself and its much nicer to be nice!!! :thumbs:

Rabbit - if you have a problem with Phil, keep it to pm/email or just shut it. When he asks for advice, that is what he wants, not someone telling him he knows nothing and that he should take up golf instead. That is not constructive, can you understand that?

Phil, I don't know if it's been mentioned at all, but try shortening the length of the worm (hook it, then cut off the lower half, that will leave less for the perch to take and it will also add 'flavour' to the immediate area).

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks John........

I fished tonight but had lots of phone calls to make while there so decided not to float fish as next time I do, I have a list of things to try and want to give it my full attention, and I felt I couldnt do that tonight.

Having said that, I did do a little bit of experimentation tonight. There is an area I dont normally fish due to the snags which I wanted to try just to verify if the fish are still in that location of a night (they are definitely there in the day). I popped on an old beat up feeder I didnt mind losing and dropped to a weak hook length just in case I did get a take and got snagged so the fish could smash me up easily. As it turned out I didnt get a single twitch which is interesting............the next bit in the learning curve at this location is where do they actually go to feed once dark sets in? I have a couple of ideas, but obvioulsy need to drop baits into areas to test them!

This whole idea of learning how fish behave in a given location is quite fascinating to me.......for example, look at how many bream have taken my bread off the beachcaster!!! Tell this to many people and they wouldn't believe it was true, in fact on many waters it simply wouldn't happen.

I did manage to catch one small skimmer on the one feeder which had managed to kamikaze its way onto 2 pieces of corn. The real excitement however happened right at the start and unfortunately was over almost as quickly as it begun! I set the beachcaster up first and fired it into an area which had a bit of floating 'debris' and for some reason looked promising........I couldnt quite tell you why it looked promising, more of a gut feel than anything. Anyway, the next job was to set the landing net up........blimey, I hadnt even got the net out the bag when the caster lurched over and I was into a carp! He ran me under 3 boats and around the snags (bugger it) and we ended in a toe to toe slog but the carp won his freedom.

Its a tough place to fish this, but I'm enjoying every minute there! Once I have this float fishing thing sorted (Which I'm sure I will given all the good advice), it'll be even harder to drag me away from this venue than it is already!!!

Must dash, gotta check the weather forecast for tomorrow eveing before I hit the sack!!! :thumbs:

How about setting up your own blog Rabbit, it just might make an interesting comparision of peoples views and ideas and you can then ask advise of others etc.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Rabbit - if you have a problem with Phil, keep it to pm/email or just shut it. When he asks for advice, that is what he wants, not someone telling him he knows nothing and that he should take up golf instead. That is not constructive, can you understand that?

Phil, I don't know if it's been mentioned at all, but try shortening the length of the worm (hook it, then cut off the lower half, that will leave less for the perch to take and it will also add 'flavour' to the immediate area).

Please someone show me the post Rabbit made about taking up golf instead of fishing, I have been back over three pages of posts and can not find anything.

Should it for some reason have already been MODERATED then why is it referred to again here.

John S, I do not believe Rabbit has a problem with Phil, just Phil's Angling, which most if not all decent Anglers would have.

He just chooses to express that in his own way.

Your advice about the PM is good perhaps you should have taken that advice yourself and not abused another AN member by telling him to shut it.

It is becoming ever so clear that this thread is being over protected by Mods, who in my opinion should be saying more about the bad fishing practices being published on the forum.

How about setting up your own blog Rabbit, it just might make an interesting comparision of peoples views and ideas and you can then ask advise of others etc.

Hi Barry,

This term BLOG has been referred to on a number of occasions. This is not a BLOG it is an open Topic Title, A thread for all to comment on.

There is a section for BLOGS and if this is or is required to be a BLOG then that is where it should be.

Regards. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Please someone show me the post Rabbit made about taking up golf instead of fishing, I have been back over three pages of posts and can not find anything.

Should it for some reason have already been MODERATED then why is it referred to again here.

John S, I do not believe Rabbit has a problem with Phil, just Phil's Angling, which most if not all decent Anglers would have.

He just chooses to express that in his own way.

Your advice about the PM is good perhaps you should have taken that advice yourself and not abused another AN member by telling him to shut it.

It is becoming ever so clear that this thread is being over protected by Mods, who in my opinion should be saying more about the bad fishing practices being published on the forum.

Hi Barry,

This term BLOG has been referred to on a number of occasions. This is not a BLOG it is an open Topic Title, A thread for all to comment on.

There is a section for BLOGS and if this is or is required to be a BLOG then that is where it should be.

Regards. :thumbs:

You are correct Medwaygreen, i have seen it referred to as Phils blog. How about Rabbit setting up his own open..................

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

You are correct Medwaygreen, i have seen it referred to as Phils blog. How about Rabbit setting up his own open..................

Hi Barry,

I do not know about Rabbit and any BLOG, he may already have one I have not looked in the BLOG section.

Regards,

Richard. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.