Fishing can be so so cruel........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil
Good luck!

I fished Earlswood when I first came back to fishing blanked, but its such a big pool I lack the balls for it!

You'd catch more if you put baits in the water rather than your balls :lol:

Earlswood is easy to fish, its just that you feel real stupid if the fish aint feeding and you blank as there are sooooo many fish in there!!! I've known contests won with less than 20 lbs of fish its fished so poorly. On its day though its scary and running too rods is hilarious as they are incessantly screaming off at the same time.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well to get the site back up again it appears yesterdays posts have all been culled, so heres something like a repost of last nights posting......

I hadnt neglected this thread, just have not fished the pool for a while. Decided when the water chilled off a fraction and the autumn feeding season started I might have a bit more success.

Had an 8 lb common out the other night. perfect condition from an angling point of view but did have an odd kind of wound on him..........almost looked as though hed been speared from underneath and something I guess to be about the thickness of a finger had gone under his chin and into his mouth. It was healing ok and the fish didnt seem fussed by it, but odd all the same.

Been chucking some of my pigeon mix and hemp in over the past 3 or 4 days and had noticed what appeared to be bream slapping their tails on the surface in the area yesterday so decided to have a little fish last night.

I tackled down on the one rod to try and have a few of the bream but still with half an eye for being strong enough if a big carp lurked by..........went for a 2 foot hooklength of 7lb mono with a standard pattern size 10 onthe end baited with a single grain of maize.

Picked up a little carp which escaped and then had another 2 common carp both of which weighed 12 oz and then a stunning linear mirror carp which weighed in at a massive 10 oz. Stunning little fish and really enjoyed the session. Looking forward to another go tonight. :)

Guest Brumagem Phil

Had another crack tonight but with both rods running lighter end tackle. Also collected some of the small red worms from the compost bin and used those on the hook.

Result 3 carp again (2 commons and one mirror) around the 10 - 12 oz area. Also 2 small roach.

These little mirrors are stunning looking fish........absolutely pristine.

Anyone give me an idea of how old fish of this size would be?

No idea on the age but that really sounds like an interesting lake to fish. Not so easy you get bored and never know how it is going to be on a given day.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks newt..........it is a kinda interesting lake for sure. The odd thing is its almost 60 acres and people only fish it for the skimmers generally yet I KNOW of carp over 20 (I also know they breed and produce some lovely lookin little uns too!) and also of a perch of 4lb which came out to a pleasure fisherman recently.

The lure of this lake is that its hardly fished and 60 acres full of bloodworm and daphnea means it really is an unknown quantity........in this day and age there are not many waters so mystical. I have to ask myself exactly what lurks in its depths that I've not seen yet? That's the joy of fishing I guess. :)

Thanks for popping by newt..its been a while since we bumped into one another. :)

Guest Brumagem Phil

Had another splash tonight..........

took a little roach and then had 3 small carp which ALL got off.........carp rods are simply too stiff for catching tiddlers really. The ones I caught the other days all fell to my stalking rod, which shows just how versatile it is as a tool, in fact I've pretty much made up my mind to buy another one (7 foot greys stalker) and to just use them for most of my carp/barbel/pike fishing unless I really need to be able to cast big distances. I prefer to fish close in anyway and this week have been fishing no more than 30 feet out.

Did manage to nab meself a nice 9 lb 4 oz common though that was pristine and had never seen a hook before............now thats MY kinda fishin! :sun::thumbs::)

Guest Brumagem Phil

Tonights haul included 5 roach and 2 carp of around the 10 to 12 oz weight.

Hmmm, at this rate I'll be fishing the float with maggot on the hook!!! <_<

Should add that despite the lakes reputation for being a bream bag up lake, the match today (as have virtually all the matches this year) weighed in VERY poorly. In fact I've been fishing with those small red compost worms all week and not had a single bream!!

I'm told they had a handful of those baby carp though..........interesting that really. Why all of a sudden are the naturally bred carp thriving?

Weird lake this!!! :blink:

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Similar things happened on a local lake near me reguarding real small carp, never seen them before untill recently. Strange how a 6" carp can take a 16mm boilie n size 8 hook...... and they managed to give screaming takes even using 2.5oz leads on semi-fixed rigs.

just a suggestion phil but might be worth casting to showing carp with just a small pva bag rather than a feeder?

steve.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks for the remarks steve.....

trouble is, the carp very rarely ever show in this lake, apart from at spawning time. In fact looking and watching the lake, you wouldnt believe there was carp in there at all. You can get lucky and spook the odd basker to give a bow wave on a nice hot day but they dont do the crashing out thing at all.

I normally fish boiliies, pellets of a couple of big grains of maize on a short hooklength and a longshank number 6 but tackled down a bit to see if I could nab a few of these small carp (and a few bream so sessions were not so dull). I've averaged 2 or 3 a night for a few evenings now so I reckon there must be plenty in there.

As for the big carp?..............Well I think this lake is twinned with the bermuda triangle :blink:

Guest Brumagem Phil

Went and had a prebait today again and found a fellah fishing me spot......he'd done ok with 4 carp around the 3 to 4 pound mark. I asked him if he'd seen any of the 10 to 12 oz ones and he said no, although he did briefly hook one before he lost it a while later.

He was fishing the float so decided I would have a bash at that tonight....decide to drop a feeder in and float fish to keep me occupied with the smaller fish.

I'd run out of dendrobeanas which I'd been using all week so dug up a dozen lobsout the garden with the intention of cutting up and using about an inch on the hook.

Bite indication on the feeder has been poor of late, so I place a bead between the swivel and feeder to stop the swivel turning the setup into a semi fixed bolt rig and improve bite indication......it worked as I could see fish snatching the bait right from the off.

So there I was, lob on the float and lob on the feeder.

Trouble was the first fish I caught was a stunning little mirror of around 10 oz but he took the size 10 right the way down..........I could see the head of the hook but it really was a looong way down. Next problem, my disgorger has gone walkies.......GREAT!!! Never mind, a fellah who lives only 100 yds away is there and he pops home to get one. I place the fish in the net back in the water while I wait so it doesnt get stressed. As a carp fisherman I am no expert with a disgorger and struggle, so this bloke has a go but the bottom line is we cant get it out so decide to cut the line and let it go...............too late, we'd stressed the fish too much and it just wouldnt swim away. I propped it up and left it quiet beteen two bricks (so it didnt roll over) in the water for a while hoping it would recover, but no, it died. I was gutted! Felt like crying.......bloody big softy that I am.

The next 3 roach ALL did the same.......as did the next common I caught and a ruff. Must be sommat about chopped worm cos they all absolutely gulped down the baits. I even went from a size 10 to a size 14 thinking it might be easier to remove the much small hook from the little fish but nope, they just took em all too far down. After losing the carp and 1 roach trying to retrieve the hooks, I simply cut the line witht he others and let em go. At least with a small barbless hook they have a fighting chance of survival.

If I have another night like that then it'll be back to my number 6 long shank and snowman boilies and lots of blanks waiting for the big fish as I really dont want to be killin the little blighters.

:(:(:(