BAIT BOAT D.I.Y

B1g-Dav3

I take it you are suggesting a twin hopper design also?

Quite right a boat of its size would have to hoppers. I guess this design will probalby in total carry 3 kilos of e.g pellets but that is a rough estimate.

What materials do you intend to construct the boat from?

I will start by using some cheep 5mm thick ply wood overlaying it with fibre glass. Probalbly. And to get the curve at the front and back i will use ply wood and fill the front with polystyrine sheet and sand it to the required shape then plaster it lightly then sand again and then coating it in fiber glass.

Have you any ball park figures of an approximate cost for your design yet?

Not quite I think in total it will cost around £150 but thats including transmitter and reciever which is where the money will go.

I assume it will be markedly cheaper than any shop bought or redeveloped commercially available boat.

Well I think if this design of boat was retailed with dual hopper and twin motor it would probably cost from £600 - £1000 so i would say it is quite cheaper than retail.

Hope this has answered your questions sufficiently

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to get the curve at the front and back i will use ply wood and fill the front with polystyrine sheet and sand it to the required shape then plaster it lightly then sand again and then coating it in fiber glass.

If you can get some A better option for the modeling of the shape/contour would be to use some of the modelling foam that is used in the motor industry called styro-foam. It is much easier to model and shape than polystyrene, it is though a little bit less knock resistant. if you get your profile and then coat it with body filler, then use a glass resin etc and matting to build the strength. If at all possible try to get hold of some gell coat to finally paint over this to make it water tight, as matting and resin is NOT water proof and will over a fairly short period of time will allow an ingress of the dreaded water.

I will try to get hold af some styrofoam suppliers names and addresses for you, as we use it at work for modelling new machines etc.

Phill.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Hope this has answered your questions sufficiently

You've answered my questions extremely sufficiantly, thank you.

As I said before, good luck with the project, I look forward to following your progress on the forum. :)

I will try to get hold af some styrofoam suppliers names and addresses for you, as we use it at work for modelling new machines etc.

Phill.

Well it would be great if you could get some pupplier names for those who are following this forum. I am sure i can get some through college so it will be dirt cheep. Also I will find out were D+T get there maerials from ASAP.

RC boat £19.99 at Netto this week (Similar available at Maplins) which might well give you a usable hull, motor and electronics for a reasonable price.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 4 weeks later...

:sun: you can add me to the list i would like to make a bate boat

I've come to the conclusion that the only way i'm going to get a bait boat for less than £300 is if I build my own from scratch. So over the next 3-4 months I will post my success or failure of every part from designing to building to taking it on to the water.

Any one who is intested i will post all diagrams and details on how to do this so you can follow from step to step until finally creating your own bait boat.

Its all well and good buying a bait boat and using it. But you will feel on top of the world if you built the boat which help you catch your personal best.

I'm going to start by drawing up some concept ideas and if you feel up to a chalange then draw up some of your ideas and post them.

B1g-Dav3

You just can't beat the pleasure of making something rather than buying something, that catches fish.

Whether its a lure or a rod or a baitboat. Hope it works out for you. If it does, would you mind knocking me up a 16 foot version ? :rolleyes:

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Got to agree with modifying a ready made hull/hulls.Both the ones Ive had built for me by a model making friend have been done this way.Plywood covered in fibre glass makes for a heavy bit of kit to cart around,especially when you add the weight of the batteries,RC gear ,motor(s),servos etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!