The roach thread

Anderoo

With the autumn zander fishing coming to an end, thoughts are now starting to turn to the next thing before the winter chubbing can start - the ongoing quest for big river roach.

I think the Thames will be the main focus, but there are a couple of tributaties that have now produced a few pound-plus roach too, which is encouraging and allows for various conditions.

There are two areas of the Thames where I've seen what I think were good roach rolling over mashed bread in previous winters, while chub fishing. I've never fished either bits specifically for roach before, so I'm now very keen to give those a bit of effort. Plus the short stretch where I've had my biggest Thames roach (up to 1.10), which is always worth trying!

Really looking forward to it...may well have a go this weekend :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well my Pike fever descended early as after last winter thought I had better have a bash in case she [Thames goes mentalagain ]] but I have some info on big Roach from a fisheries officer contact for ya regarding the Thames.PM inbound

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I haven't managed to get on the Thames yet this season, too many other commitments and seemingly bad traffic make the journey daunting at present. Someone I know from Oxford who retired back in February has had a 2-8 roach this season on the Thames and there are some good fish in many stretches of the middle river. The conditions looked promising recently though the flows have settled since then. I'm hoping to have a go soon though.good luck with your quest. I still think the main river the better bet for a really big one than the tributaries but location is everything. A 2lb Thames roach remains my roach target of a lifetime!

My new book on roach Big Roach 2 has a section on the Thames and its roach and is now available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Roach-2-Mark-Wintle/dp/0993059007/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414426763&sr=1-1&keywords=big+roach+2

post-16901-0-00888300-1414433946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Wintle

Great to hear of a 2.08 from the Thames Mark! I hope to concentrate on the main river, and I really hope there isn't a repeat of last winter's months of flooding.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Certainly looks like there are good numbers of Roach showing on the Thames; I have noticed a marked increase in the last three years or so. It would be great to hear if other rivers are showing a similar roach revival.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Yes definitely, there seems to be a real resurgence on the Thames, it's great to see. Not just numbers either, some people (not me sadly, at least not yet!) are catching some real specimens. Exciting times...!

Yes definitely, there seems to be a real resurgence on the Thames, it's great to see. Not just numbers either, some people (not me sadly, at least not yet!) are catching some real specimens. Exciting times...!

Indeed! Let me know when you are on the Quest and hopefully we can share a session or two over the remainder of the season.......... :)

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

I just had a couple of hours into dark on the Bristol Avon fishing flake and a little cage feeder. Had five or six little roach of no great size, a little chub and another that might have scraped 2lb. Played that carefully, but I already knew in my heart what it was. The larger chub was the last fish I had and the bites completely dried up after dark.

Is it worth fishing long into darkness for big roach? Is plenty of small roach a good sign or a bad one?