Whats helped the modern day carper the most

rooney888

The 2-ring gas stove.... in camo!

I'll agree that the hair-rig has made a big improvement on carp fishing, but I draw the line at bite alarms. Why use them during the day when you're sat next to your rods? A simple drop-back bite indicator will work just as well, and most anglers use them in conjuntion with the alarms anyway! When I first started ledgering I used the top off a bottle of washing-up liquid with a piece of plasticine inside to give it weight. Bite alarms not necessary 99% of the time....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two most vital inventions in modern carp fishing have to be bivvie slippers and camo tape - how anyone caught carp before these were readily available is utterly beyond me.

Sadly, I think the biggest influence is a lot more lakes with a lot more carp in them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

For a very interesting discussion of this topic see the interview I did with some of the country's top carp anglers at http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/authors/carp01.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The 2-ring gas stove.... in camo!

I'll agree that the hair-rig has made a big improvement on carp fishing, but I draw the line at bite alarms. Why use them during the day when you're sat next to your rods? A simple drop-back bite indicator will work just as well, and most anglers use them in conjuntion with the alarms anyway! When I first started ledgering I used the top off a bottle of washing-up liquid with a piece of plasticine inside to give it weight. Bite alarms not necessary 99% of the time....

John, I can't agree with you on this one. On waters where runs are few and far between it's impossible, to be watching bobbins all the time. For me fishing is all about enjoyment and if I had to watch bobbins all day long I wouldn't be enjoying myself, let alone be able to watch the water for fish or watch the wildlife.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

When I first started ledgering I used the top off a bottle of washing-up liquid with a piece of plasticine inside to give it weight.

Oddly enough, there's a thread currently running on the MD forum, bemoaning the fact that you can't get these any more. Modern bottle caps don't have the same long hinge... :(

I can tell you whats helped the modern day carper the most, having little muddy puddles stuffed full of carp that are so hungry they jump into their keep nets.

lol lol :lol:

WHEN IM GOOD THEY NEVER REMEMBER

WHEN IM BAD THEY NEVER FORGET.

Aaahhhh the adjustable bedchair, what a godsend that was for the session angler, does anyone remember the pain of waking up on the old argos bedchair, if you had to set up on a slope like i had to, and have the back legs folded down so that they was diggin into the small of your back, how i miss the pain. lol.

In all seriousnes it has to be the hair rig.

Steve

Oddly enough, there's a thread currently running on the MD forum, bemoaning the fact that you can't get these any more. Modern bottle caps don't have the same long hinge... :(

oh yes you can ,i spotted them in the creel aldershot complete with a isotope insert (and no doupt available elswhere) ;) same as the old ones but no doupt more expensive than "free" like they were :thumbs:

before i could afford herons a bent penny (old type ;) ) laid on the spool served 2 functions it held the line on the spool with the bailarm open (pre bait runner reels) and fell off onto a metal tray causing a noise ,a perfectly bent penny didnt fall off in the wind ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think the beter carbon rods , you can do more with just rod also the line range is bigger then 20 years ago

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch