My first daft question, or two.

JINJER

Hello there, I'm a 54yr old new starter to fishing, when I introduced myself a couple of weeks since I did warn that there could be some daft questions as I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing, so here goes.

I'm fishing a pond near me and all I seem to get is relatively big (in starter terms) Carp, how can I avoid Carp and catch other fish, Roach, Perch etc.

And daft question two, I've noticed guys fishing with what appears to be a very large bulbous float and fishing bread on top of the water, what fish are they hoping to catch and is there a name for this style of fishing?

Thanks

Neither of those questions is daft.

The only sure way to not catch carp is to fish where there aren't any. Fishing with lures is almost as sure but over lots of years tossing lures, I have caught the occasional carp.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello there, I'm a 54yr old new starter to fishing, when I introduced myself a couple of weeks since I did warn that there could be some daft questions as I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing, so here goes.

I'm fishing a pond near me and all I seem to get is relatively big (in starter terms) Carp, how can I avoid Carp and catch other fish, Roach, Perch etc.

And daft question two, I've noticed guys fishing with what appears to be a very large bulbous float and fishing bread on top of the water, what fish are they hoping to catch and is there a name for this style of fishing?

Thanks

Hi mate, and welcome to the forum.

Your first question is a good one, and I would be a happy man if there was an answer. Newts answer is quite true, but it's hard to find a water that hasn't got a large head of carp in it. Over the last 30 odd years some anglers/ water owners have seen fit to stock carp into almost every drop of water they can find. The reason is that hey are hardy, grow to a decent size, are relatively cheap, easily bred, and the angling media/tackle manufacturers/fishery owners, can make money out of them. There is very little you can do to not catch carp once they are in a lake/pond, except what I do, and that's not fish them. It's not the carp themselves, but the number of them in a water. There have always been carp in most still waters, but now the the norm is to overstock, so that the carp make up a greater percentage of the stock.

Your second question sounds like they are using a controller with floating bread. It's not really a float, but a weight to enable a crust to be cast further, and I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that it's a method mainly used to catch carp!

Sorry I couldn't be more positive in my answers, but sadly that's the nature of much of todays angling.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Jinjer

The others have basically answered the question, but a couple of extra points.

Floater fishing is a fun way of catching carp (if you want to!), but it's usually associated with summer and autumn, and will probably be less effective as the water cools. But I'd really recommend it for next summer, it's really exciting watching that monster fish approaching your bit of bread - will he, won't he?

Which leads to a second point. As the weather gets cold, fishing - particularly in 'normal' lakes - gets much harder, and it's usually best to fish a river if there is one near you (hopefully no carp, too!) Fish in a lake will stop moving about as their body temperature drops, so they won't need to feed, but in a river they have to expend energy to keep their place in the current, and so will need to feed.

Having said that, high stock density lakes like your pond are a bit of an exception, and you can often still catch in the winter. Though I think it's true to say the carp will quieten down a bit more than the roach, and you can sometimes fish for roach in winter without being carped out quite so often - though I woulldn't want to be dogmatic on this.

john clarke

Hi Jinjer, welcome to AN.

No such thing as a stupid question here.

Not sure what tactics you are using, but if you use a float rod and fish a waggler rig with red maggots or caster as hookbait you'll give yourself more of a chance of avoiding the carp. Cast to the same spot and feed a pouch of maggot every cast. At this time of year you've got a very good window in which to get some of the decent roach in carp lakes.

Also i don't know where you fish but quite a few of the commercial fisheries around here do have non carp lakes. Old Bury Hill and Twynersh spring to mind - you may have the same in your area if you scout around on Google or ask in your local tackle shop.

If you fill in your location in your profile some kind ANer that knows your area might be able to point you towards a water or two that would be more to your tastes than the carp puddle you seem to be fishing :)

Mat

Edited by Mat Hillman

Mat

If you fill in your location in your profile some kind ANer that knows your area might be able to point you towards a water or two that would be more to your tastes than the carp puddle you seem to be fishing :)

Mat

Done, thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

No question is ever too daft.

My vote would be ...head for a river and you are more likely to find the chub and perch who are used to flowing water...... have a float.....have fun.

"Muddlin' along"

really, there are no daft questions ? I refer you to the recent tap water or loch water for groundbait thread :spiteful:

Jinjer, Id go with maggots and waggler fishing. obviously (before someone says im talking crap) you could still catch carp on em but chances id say are lower.

also a lob worm and twitch it to keep it on the move away from them pesky carp and try get a perch they love stop and start, things on the move etc.

apart from that, try stay away from carp puddles :crazy:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk