Wingham Catch Report

Steve Burke

What an amazing place! Many thanks to Steve for the invitation and his excellent advice, Peggy for 3 (count em) brilliant BBQs, and Terry and Glynn for the tractor taxi services, and stories of monsters in the deeps... Wingham is everything I was hoping it would be, and more.

On Friday morning we (me and 'Boilie Dangler') set about plumbing our swims and emptying a couple of buckets of groundbait on our spots before going off for a wander and a BBQ. We were between 2 very impressive gravel bars - you could easily see them in the clear water, and they were razor sharp, so we opted to fish along the base on the downwind side (and boy was it windy!).

First cast in the afternoon with a floatfished worm and the float dipped and slid off straight away! I was so shocked I fluffed it. Second cast it slid off again, and the first perch of the weekend was landed at 2lb 13oz, a real beauty. Next cast was the first of many pike (me and Mr Dangler had 6 between us and lost at least that amount again, and some pretty big ones too - smallest was 11lb, biggest were 3 15lbers. With some weight they could be 20s).

In the evening I'd switched to a feeder and just as Steve came round to my swim, the bobbin crept up, and a stunning perch of 3lb 3oz was netted, a new pb and a teriffic sight as it came up through the deep, clear water (it was 9ft deep straight from the bank!). A couple of casts later, just at dusk, and another pb was landed at 3lb 5oz :D Soon after Mr Dangler broke his pb with a perch of 3lb exactly, taken 2ft from the bank near some reeds.

Alarm clock was set for 4.30 the next morning, and some more bait introduced. At about 5.30 I had a tearing run and hooked by first Wingham tench, all 2lb of it! :lol: Another half an hour later and another screamer, this time another 3lb perch at 3lb 2oz. These perch fight like demons - such an impressive turn of speed, they were stripping line off my reel and I was convinced a couple of them were pike!

Highlights for me were seeing those massive bream roll; catching such wonderful perch; meeting some great people; Jan's face when she saw her first pike!; hearing Budgie's roar as he landed his huge bream (on the other side of the lake!); being bitten off by a pike, then hooking and landing it on the very next cast and getting my hook back :lol: ; and seeing Steve's face when he realised he's got 2, maybe 3, shoals of big bream! Lowlights: driving home :(

Photos to follow. Well done to all those who came home with pbs!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you all had a fantastic time, just wish it had been possible to be there. :thumbs:

Anderoo, I'm glad your ok, I was getting a bit worried for you, I feared the growing level excitment you obviously felt in the run up to the event, might have caused 'burn-out' before the day. ;)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sounds like you all had a fantastic time, just wish it had been possible to be there. :thumbs:

Anderoo, I'm glad your ok, I was getting a bit worried for you, I feared the growing level excitment you obviously felt in the run up to the event, might have caused 'burn-out' before the day. ;)

No chance, but thanks for your concern :lol: I'll give it a couple of days and then start thinking about next year...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Many thanks to Steve and Peggy, yet again, for a brilliant fish-in.

Extra special thanks, I believe, should also go to Terry and Glyn (the bailiffs) for not only getting the place ready for such numbers, but also for playing host to their every whim once they all arrived. Top work, guys!

I only managed a couple of pike from the carp lake, but will be back soon.....I hope!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Glad to see you all enjoyed it and cannot wait to see the pics of the Bream.

Nice one Budgie, did you fish the same pegs as last year?

I shall be going next year that's for sure.

Paul

... I forgot to add that Boilie Dangler did indeed get a run from a carp (well, we think it was a carp - it was on a boilie and was a very fast run) but lost it after a few seconds. He'd cast at a huge bream we saw roll. He's probably just about stopped swearing now :lol:

Ask Jan what she thinks of maggots. :)

Jan caught a couple of tench this morning on maggot, so she rates them fairly highly as bait. She also had another tench on cockle. Newt had a tench and a bream on cockle. Not big ones, (2 lb best) but considering the falling temperature, with lashing rain and gale-force winds, then catching any fish at all was a good result.

No doubt some pictures will follow, but our guests are crashed out upstairs as I type, following a Full English Breakfast consumed upon their return from tench-fishing.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

First I would like to say a big thank you to Steve, Peggy, Terry and Glyn for all of their hard work. I'm sure you all slept well last night.

I had a fantastic weekend, although I didn't catch anything. I still learnt a lot.

Congratulations to all those who managed a PB. There were quite a few of you. Thats the magic of Wingham, you wont get many bites but when you do it's going to be something special.

I'd also like to say thank you to Vidar and Newt for their lure demo. I will not forget the look on Newts face when that pike attacked his lure right under his feet.

All in all a fabulous weekend and and a very friendly group of people.

I hope I'm lucky enough to see you all again next year.

Anthony

Effort equals reward!!

Guest Jan V
Ask Jan what she thinks of maggots. :)

Well, Dave, I have actually finally touched the squirmy little things. :headhurt: Vagabond baited my hook but I was throwing out extras 'to the fish gods' trying to draw in the fish. I caught 3 tench and a duck. The tench weren't monstrous but I still did catch them. The rain can stop any time now, guys....

Elton, where's the maggot smilie? :P

Edited by Jan V

Well, Dave, I have actually finally touched the squirmy little things. :headhurt: Vagabond baited my hook but I was throwing out extras 'to the fish gods' trying to draw in the fish. I caught 3 tench and a duck. The tench weren't monstrous but I still did catch them. The rain can stop any time now, guys....

Elton, where's the maggot smilie? :P

Nice one, Jan. More PBs for you and Newt! :):)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net