Wingham Catch Report

Steve Burke

Have to say a big thank you to Steve for giving me the opportunity to fish such an amazing place. Also to Peggy for the BBQ, and Gerry and Glynn for the tractor taxi to and from my swim.

It was fantastic fishing, and despite the rain and wind I enjoyed every minute of it. It was also nice to meet everybody and finally put some faces to names.

The lure fishing demo was excellent and has got me itching to try out a few things.

Great photo Den of the pike at Newts feet, I was standing next to you when it had a go and it certainly made me jump.

As far as my fish were concerned I was well chuffed with two pb tench 7-12 and 8-00, and my first eel at 3-08lb.The eel certainly gave me the runaround in the middle of the night.

Any way here’s some pics.

Lure fishing demo

Newt in action

7-12 tench

8-00 tench

3-08 eel

Andy

(sorry about the size of the photo's)

Edited by Jigotai

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been asked to post this here on page 2 as well:

Here's the bare facts as of lunchtime today for those who filled in the scoresheet - some are fishing to the bitter end! I'll add any late catches to this post, but leave it to the individuals to tell their own stories!

Jan - 1st ever pike, and on a lure too!

Newt - 1st ever pike, and on a lure too!

Vidar - a pike of, if I remember correctly, about 10lbs.

Cliff 63 - an eel of 2-08.

Meatballs - a PB tench of 9-13, plus 3 others of 7-03, 7-03 & 6-01.

Andrew Burgess - a PB tench of 6-14.

Budgie Burgess - a PB bream of 15-13, plus a tench of 7-13.

Paul Mc - a pike of 7lbs.

Chris Mc - a PB tench of 8-02 plus a pike of 10½lbs.

Jedibond - a PB tench of 8-02 plus another of 7-00.

Bad Excuse for an Angler - a pike of just under 10lbs and a 2oz rudd.

John Block - a PB eel of 4-00 & others of 2lbs and 1½lbs.

Rob Ward - a PB bream of 16-06, plus a tench of 6-00.

3 Doors Down - a PB tench of 7-12, plus others of 6-02 and 5-09.

Jigotai - a PB tench of 8-00 plus another of 7-12, plus a PB eel of 3-08.

Boilie Dangler - a PB perch of 3-00, plus pike of 15lbs & 11lbs.

Anderoo - a PB perch of 3-05 plus others of 3-03, 3-02, 2-13 & 0-06, plus a 2lb tench, plus 6 double figure pike to 15lbs.

Leon - a perch of 10ozs.

The drop in temperature plus the wind and rain ruined any chance of repeating last week's huge bags of tench, and I was fearing the worst. However, those of you who had fish in front of you really rose to the occasion!

Many congratulations to all who caught PBs!

Many thanks to Peggy for the BBQs, plus the bailiffs, Terry and Glyn in particular, for all their hard work both before and during the weekend. Thanks also to all the others who contributed - you know who you are!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well I’ve at last managed to compose my self enough to post!

First and foremost as others have already said a great thanks to Steve,Glynn and Terry for not only giving us a chance to fish such a superb water but also make us feel so welcome and make the weekend run so smoothly.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank the rest of the members of the syndicate for sharing both their water and information with us visitors. It makes me wonder how many other such exclusive waters would be so welcoming.

I have always thought Wingham to be a wonderful place and after eventually being able to attend last years fish in wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Steve knows my main interest there is the large Bream (although no one minds catching 3lb Perch or 8lb Tench whilst trying!) Last year he kindly put me in his favourite bream swim. I didn’t manage one but had a great perch and equally great time! This year due to the strong winds he put both me and Andrew in a more sheltered swim. After visiting the point swim during the lure demo we were both glad he did!

Despite the weather we settled in comfortabley. Out of the blue at midday on Saturday I had a tench of 7lb 13ozs, quite spooky as the swim number was also 13! The Friday night had been very cold with little sign of activity Saturday night saw the wind drop only slightly but a definite rise in temperature. Things looked better.

Half way through cooking the evening meal I had a nice steady run. After hooking it and it not going off like a train in the typical Wingham tench style I started to hope! The bruv turned of the cooker and took his place by my side with the net. When it eventually surfaced under the rod tip I must admit I was a little disappointed as the fish only looked to be the length of many of the many 10-12lb bream I’ve had. Andrew thought the same....until he lifted the net that was!! It was built like a flaming carp! Cutting to the chase after several weighings it went 15lb 13ozs (spooky 13 again and an exact reversal of my previous PB at 13.15!) I couldn’t help it and an involuntary Matt Hayes/Gord Burton style Whoop of joy came out. A very long standing PB of mine had been beat. My legs were shaking for the first time in many years! I still haven’t stopped grinning and wont for some time.

A great result fishing wise made even better that so many others including Andrew caught PBs as well. The "crack" as usual was very good one of my favourites being the next morning when Rob came round and said " I heard you had a skimmer last night!" superb I would have done exactly the same if roles had been reversed!

Over 12 PB's and to put it in to perspective only 15 years ago this weekend’s captures wouldn’t have been made in an entire season! Any where! A great tribute to Steve’s fore sight and management of the water.

Once again thanks to him and his crew, Newt and Jan for at last giving me the chance (after some years)to meet up face to face, Vidar and Newt for the lure Demo, being able to meet up with Den Darkin (one of my all round angling heroes),Terry Doe at long last! And last but not least all the other members who made such a great week end.

PS. Bragging pics will definitely follow!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The "crack" as usual was very good one of my favourites being the next morning when Rob came round and said " I heard you had a skimmer last night!" superb I would have done exactly the same if roles had been reversed!

I'd forgotten that one. Brilliant, Rob! :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

:lol: Cheers fellas.

Just got back from staying with a friend in Hastings last night and I'm shattered so I'll leave the story and pics until I get into work tomorrow.

Thanks to Steve and his Bailiffs for another brilliant fish-in and thanks to Peggy for all her hard work feeding everybody.

16-06 - I still can't believe it! :yeah:

Edited by Rob Ward

The "crack" as usual was very good one of my favourites being the next morning when Rob came round and said " I heard you had a skimmer last night!"

Brilliant :lol::lol::lol:

Well done all, looks/sounds like everyone had a fantastic time and well done to everyone who managed to catch.

Dan

Congratulations all, some big big fishes and some fantastic PB's.

I've really enjoyed watching this and the other Wingham threads. :thumbs:

p.s. Budgie - it's looks like a skimmer next to you. :D;)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Right after trying to get my brother off his computer as I am still staying at his house! :rolleyes:

Once again I must thanks to Steve Burke for allowing me to fish his superb water ;) Once I will also say thanks to the bunch of lads Glynn and Terry who have work their guts out for preparing the venue to us. Also I must say thank you to Peggy for all the hard work she have done especially in the BBQ.

I must admit now that I was slightly disappointed in not going to the same swim as last year but Steve put us (me and budgie in a even better swim) :) because of the foul weather/wind. ;);) Any chance of me going in Peg 13 next year? :lol:

Anyway as usual I was the first one up in the morning at Budgie house after travling down from Redditch on the Thursday evening and was hoping for a good night sleep but I was getting too excited. We arrive there just after 10.30am and was greeting bt Glynn And Terry. After founding out where we was going to fish. I was far more than happy to fish in Peg 12. So we decide to set my bivvy up and put the two bed by side by side as I was not happy sharing my bivvy with bruv. Once the bivvy was up we went to the BBQ. I was happy to see the bunch of lads who I know. Once again met Newt for the very first time and what a guy he is.

After the BBQ it was back to Peg 12 where I was fishing from Steve came over to us with Newt and Jan. Again is was a pleasure to meet them as I have been to America so many times.

Steve also explained what was the layout of my swim (thanks mate ;) ) The first night was just very quite as there was a couple of bleeps from the left rod which was a sweetcorn rig. and again another couple of bleeps on the right rod which was the bloodworms with a sweetcorn rig.

Next morning again we heard new that some of the lads have caught fish in the night. Budgie first fish was caught after when I text him a message and he was calling me to net the fish! Again went to the BBQ and really have some good laughs from most of the gang.

We went to see the excellent lure demo from Steve, Newt and Vidar showing us their skills as this is not my best fishing abititly. Also we walk around the lake to the peg we were in last year and by god it was very cold and the wind was awesome.

Again I am happy for Budgie for netting the new PB bream as I might be the new netman in the future! :lol: We couldn't help it by making so much noise as we was both happy to see a size of a big bream.

My first fish from Wingham didn't happen until 6am as I was awake as I saw the middle rod tip move and the tip move again it did it again and the lightweight bobbin raise to the top and I hit the rod which create an nice new PB tench of 6lb 14oz (smash the old tench PB by 4lbs) which had an small mole near the back of the pelvic fin.

post-4339-1148329138_thumb.jpg

I can't wait for next year and once again A big thank to Steve, Peggy and Glynn and Terry

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/