Wingham Catch Report

Steve Burke

Guest Jan V

If I haven't said my thank you's so far, they are too many to count. Had a great time and felt so welcome. Thanks to Steve and Peggy for their hospitality along with Terry and Glyn who worked so hard to make things easy for the rest (and succeeded by great margins). Den and Leon were so kind and patient (I will be changing my display name when I get back to the States). The pike wasn't huge but I have learned so much in so short a time. I'm afraid Steve would have been crushed if Newt and I hadn't caught those pikes and he did everything humanly possible to make it happen. Cheers to all I met (and will continue to meet). We've also had a great time with Vagabond and Norma and continue to learn (and get wet). Peter, starting tomorrow evening it's your turn :rolleyes:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elton, where's the maggot smilie? :P

will this one do Jan??

magtrans.gif

Budgie..what an orrible slimey looking thing, nice fish tho...............and ain't your bruv the usual carper eh.................can't smile while holding a fish cos it ain't the proper fing to do isit like .

Oh and just incase anyone ain't realised yes i am in a pish taking mood cos i didn't get to go .............so nerner :yucky:

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Guest Brumagem Phil
Budgie..what an orrible slimey looking thing, nice fish tho...............

I wouldnt dare say such a thing! Well actually I might as he's 200 miles away :P

Cracking fish! :)

Guest Jan V
will this one do Jan??

magtrans.gif

Budgie..what an orrible slimey looking thing, nice fish tho...............and ain't your bruv the usual carper eh.................can't smile while holding a fish cos it ain't the proper fing to do isit like .

Oh and just incase anyone ain't realised yes i am in a pish taking mood cos i didn't get to go .............so nerner :yucky:

Like the maggot Alan. You prepared for the Vail invasion? Newt has to send me out to scout the place to make sure it was safe for him.... :rolleyes:

yep no problem its all secure.we don't burn yank flags over here we just eat them so it can wipe our...........erm anyway i reckon its just about safe..................for you that is well apart from two young ladies who are driving me totally bonkers about "aunty Jan n unca Newt comin soon"

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Wingham until the Saturday due to being short staffed at work. Having beaten PB's on two out of three previous fish-ins I was gutted not to be able to fish the two nights this year. :(

As usual I stopped over at my Uncle's place near Newmarket on Friday night and set off for Wingham at 10:00 Saturday morning. Shortly after getting onto the M11 disaster struck - a Lorry had crashed and the Motorway was gridlocked for the twelve miles or so between Newmarket and Stanstead Airport, there wasn't even a junction I could slip off at and go cross country, at this point I was tearing what's left of my hair out! By the time we got past the crash it was 12:30 so not only had I missed the first night but the Saturday BBQ as well! :wallbash:

On arrival at Wingham the BBQ had finished and Terry was about to take everyone back to their swims or Newt and Jans lure fishing demo, I'd dragged my girlfriend along this year so I decided to get setup and get her settled in the Bivvy before anything else so apologies to Newt and Jan for missing their demo.

My main interest at Wingham is my favourite species - Tench but conditions weren't ideal for them with temperatures dropping. After losing a Bream last year I still had half an eye on one of the big slabs so I set up two rods with Method Feeder rigs - on which I've caught both Bream and Tench in the past. I also set up a float rod and another with a running ledger rig to fish worms over loose feed at the bottom of the marginal slope, underneath an overhanging tree to my left (not at the same time!) which is where most of my fish from Wingham have come from - Steve had kindly allocated me my 'usual' swim. :)

Once the rods were set up I put a few pouches of Hemp, Casters, Maggots and Corn out towards the overhanging tree and then mixed my ground bait with the water from my hemp, some green lipped mussel extract and plenty off free offerings including some chopped worm. During a sunny spell the bar that runs down the middle of the lake parallel to the bank was clearly visible so I wasted no time in casting my middle rod to near side of the bar with a method feeder and hair rigged double corn - first cast of the day was right on the money as were the seven balls of my ground bait mix that followed. I then cast the right hand rod to the bar that runs out at right angles to the bank to the right of my swim, this time with a bunch of red maggots on the hook and again with seven balls of ground bait over the top. Lastly the running ledger rig baited with Lobworm was dropped under the overhanging tree. I then turned around to survey the devastation that's me setting up in a hurry! :P

robs-pitch.jpg

It wasn't long before something trundled off on the right hand rod and I was soon slipping the net under a fin perfect Wingham Tench which weighed 6lb:

tench.jpg

After that things went strangely quiet and I was pondering why there was no activity on the rod under the overhanging tree which had produced so consistently in the past. I wound the running ledger in and cast the float rod then settled into my chair watching the float, hoping for a big Tench or Perch to pick up my worm, by this time the light was beginning to fade so out came the starlight. Not long after dark there was a bit of a commotion on the far bank and it looked like Budgie or Andrew had landed something decent which was confirmed by Budgies scream of delight - well done mate!

At around the same time Stacy had made me a nice cup of Coffee with a nip of brandy that was going down a treat when I got a slow steady run on the middle rod. On lifting the rod I knew I was into something heavy and at first thought it was one of the Carp but after a minute or so it seemed too slow for a Carp and was plodding around hugging bottom so I started to suspect it was a Bream and likely to be a biggun! It hugged bottom right up to the marginal shelf where I pumped it up to the surface and said to Stacy - I'm gonna need the big net! In the net it looked quite short and I estimated it at around ten pounds going from Bream I've caught in the past to around seven pounds, that was until it rolled over and I saw the width of its back - at which point I nearly lost control of my bodily functions and my legs turned to Jelly. I couldn't put a weight on it but knew then it was a very big Bream so passed the net to Stacy and ran down to the next swim to get help with weighing and photographing. Apologies to my neighbour (and thanks for the help) who must have got the shock of his life from the swamp monster who appeared at his pitch rambling on about a Bream. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story:

16lb 6oz's of slab and 15 stone of Blancmange :yeah: :

bream-best.jpg

The fish flaps and the panic begins:

breamflap1.jpg

Phew:

breamflap2.jpg

As always it was a great weekend and I can't wait to go back, though the place has been so kind to me over the last few years I'd be happy to just sit there enjoying the scenery and the company. Thanks again to all involved.

Edited by Rob Ward

What can I say except :yeah: . I am still coming down from cloud nine. any tench is great but a lake record is just phenominal.

Wingham is such a lovely, magical place which just mesmorizes me and I suspect all who go there. It would not be that without the tireless work by Steve and the gang, including of course Peggy and you would just not believe the amount of work they have all put in over the last couple of months to bring the fish-in together.

Steve certainly put me on the fish with three tench on Saturday of 6.01, 9.13, 7.03, and another 7.03 on Sunday. The first three coming to maggot over PVA of deads and pellet and the fourth to worm over deads pva. Pics are below and a special thank you to who ever it was (sorry,I'm terrible with names and faces) who took the 9-13 photo, you did a great job

Here are the pics in order: Apologies for delay, I am just a dummy with computers

What can I say except :yeah: . I am still coming down from cloud nine. any tench is great but a lake record is just phenominal.

Wingham is such a lovely, magical place which just mesmorizes me and I suspect all who go there. It would not be that without the tireless work by Steve and the gang, including of course Peggy and you would just not believe the amount of work they have all put in over the last couple of months to bring the fish-in together.

Steve certainly put me on the fish with three tench on Saturday of 6.01, 9.13, 7.03, and another 7.03 on Sunday. The first three coming to maggot over PVA of deads and pellet and the fourth to worm over deads pva. Pics are below and a special thank you to who ever it was (sorry,I'm terrible with names and faces) who took the 9-13 photo, you did a great job

Here are the pics in order: Apologies for delay, I am just a dummy with computers

That a be are Paul(Paul Mc).

To all who came to Wingham over the weekend, VERY well done and congratulations!

Despite the rather inhospitable weather it was fantastic to see so many PB's and two magnificent Bream come out.

A special thanks to Peggy for the superb BBQ's, I know they went down rather well :) And to Steve for.... well, everything!

It was a real pleasure to meet some familiar faces again.... and a few new ones that I suspect will return next year :)

I was really hopeing there would be some nice fish this year for you all and just hoped there might be one of the big Bream I know the lake holds. To see TWO big Bream AND a lake record Tench come out was amazing! I don't think I've seen three grown men so happy in the rain for some time :)

Congratulations again all, and special thanks to Meatballs, Budgie & Rob for making my weekend with those fish.

Now what will next year hold for you all .......... :rolleyes: