Wingham Catch Report

Steve Burke

That's it I'm going next year!

What an amazing load of fish, and so many PBs broken. Well done Steve et al for hosting and organising what looked like a brilliant event.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting to see the picture too, having only seen it on Meatballs camera. For comparison, here's a picture of my 5lb 9oz Wingham Tench, plus a couple of shots of the lake.

Am I right that Andrews near 7 pounder is a male ? Makes me wonder how big the females may be !

Looking at the pic it's difficult to be certain, but it looks like it.

To whet your appetite the biggest male at Wingham was one of 7-12. Double figure females, without spawn, have been seen by several members on a number of occasions. However with so few fishing it's not surprising that they remain uncaught.

Bearing in mind I stocked just 150, many of the tench now being caught will have been born in Wingham. Two years ago these young fish averaged under 5lbs, this year the females are averaging 7lbs and have caught their parents up. The first stocking was in 1996 and so they can't be any more than 10 years old this summer. I'm told that tench grow very slowly for the first few years of their life, living in thick weed. They then leave the weed and grow at a much faster rate until about fifteen years of age and then fatten up.......

I don't like speculating and five years is a long time in the life of a fishery. So your guess is as good as mine! Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Looking forwars to seeing Meatballs tench too! A truely great catch.Ive had quite a few 8lb+ tench over the years but only ever one 9lbr.despite the definate increase in overall tench sizes they are still very rare.

Yes Andrews tench was definately male 3 Doors.

Nomad Paul,AN holds a lot of fish ins and teach ins through out the year.Everyone Ive been on has been well worthwhile.Not only a chance to catch a new species or PB but to learn and exchange ideas with other anglers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That was one big Tench and you can see from the photo it's got some growing to do yet. Well done Meatballs, if you could PM me with those details about the Tenchfishers I'd be obliged.

Paul - sorry I didn't get to meet you and your brother. I'm from Liverpool too and a Red! Where do you normally fish?

We where keeping an eye out for you but with you turning up late on saturday and us leaving early on sunday we must have missed each other.

At the moment we are in Lymm anglers and normally fish the rivers(Severn and Dane) when we are not on the rivers then Lymm vale or whitley pool are probably our favourites. We wher in WAA but after they lost the ribble we gave it up because we have been on the waiting list for prince albert for 2 years now so hopefully we will be in thier as well next season.We used to fish halsnead park in whiston until it got overun with idiots.

Wel done on the Bream as well :thumbs:

Regards Paul Mc

We where keeping an eye out for you but with you turning up late on saturday and us leaving early on sunday we must have missed each other.

At the moment we are in Lymm anglers and normally fish the rivers(Severn and Dane) when we are not on the rivers then Lymm vale or whitley pool are probably our favourites. We wher in WAA but after they lost the ribble we gave it up because we have been on the waiting list for prince albert for 2 years now so hopefully we will be in thier as well next season.We used to fish halsnead park in whiston until it got overun with idiots.

Wel done on the Bream as well :thumbs:

Cheers.

I've got a Pilks ticket (mainly for Eccleston Mere) which is about the only club I've bothered with recently, they've got a stretch of the Severn. I've been fishing a day ticket stretch on the Ribble which is decent - nothing outstanding yet but they're in there.

The rest of my fishing is mostly day ticket or free fishing.

I used to fish Halsnead as well, havent bothered for a couple of years now since my mate had his pod, alarms, rods and reels pinched in the middle of the night. It's a disgrace the way that waters gone, shame because it was a good Carp and Tench water.

Whereabouts in Liverpool are you?

Edited by Rob Ward

Sorry this posting is a bit late, it's due to a poorly computer.

First I would like to say a big 'thank you' to Steve, Peggy, Terry and Glyn for all their hard work over the past few weeks, what an excellent job you have done. It was fantastic to meet Newt and Jan, larger than life and such a nice couple. The lure fishing demo was brilliant too.

Both Anthony78 and myself were much better prepared for this year's fishing and we had great expectations of doing well but it wasn't to be. My old fishing mate blanked (oh dear!) :huh: - nothing like a bit of banter!! Myself, yet another eel. Last year's weighed in at 3lb 7oz, this year's a mighty 2lb 8oz, a few more years and I will be catching boot laces - but that's the mystique of Wingham, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

It was nice to see the bream showing this year, plus listening to Budgie shouting with joy. It seemed that he was in the next swim but no, he was actuallly 10 swims up from us. I'll put it down to the prevailing wind!! Nice one Budgie, it made me smile. :P

Thank you again

Cliff

PS - Steve, hope you made it home on time for Doctor Who