£97 million for a weather system !

Paulg

Hope it means the Beeb might get it right in future!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29789208

P.

I doubt it very much :shutup:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Hope it means the Beeb might get it right in future!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29789208

P.

If you get one thing wrong does that discredit everything you have done in your life? Do you expect weather forecasting to be 100% accurate?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Do you expect weather forecasting to be 100% accurate?

For £97million I'll expect it to be better than it is now.

I checked my local (Met Office) forecast on Sunday evening: it said, Monday, sunshine all day, and Tuesday showers and rain for all of the daylight hours.

Monday was sunny until about 9am and then clouded over, solid low cloud cover, until about 4pm.

Today has been brighter than Monday was without being particularly sunny, (sunny spells) but no rain at all so far.

.........and if I want information about wind speeds and direction (I do) I no longer bother with the Met Office.

For £97million I'll expect it to be better than it is now.

I checked my local (Met Office) forecast on Sunday evening: it said, Monday, sunshine all day, and Tuesday showers and rain for all of the daylight hours.

Monday was sunny until about 9am and then clouded over, solid low cloud cover, until about 4pm.

Today has been brighter than Monday was without being particularly sunny, (sunny spells) but no rain at all so far.

.........and if I want information about wind speeds and direction (I do) I no longer bother with the Met Office.

You may not but airlines, the shipping industry, the energy suppliers, our army, any and airforce need proper weather forecasts and they pay the Met Office for them.

Weather forcasting is about probabilities not absolutes.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I've been using the BBC weather site for the last couple of years to inform me of the likely weather when I go beach fishing. Temps and wind speed have been pretty well spot on for Hythe and Dungeness (RYE) Whether it will be dry or showery has also been spot on.

At home high up on the downs it can get a little tricky, often "the weather" slips past down each side of the high ground, many times we watch storms passing by to the south, probably over Wingham :), or north out towards Whitstable, distances of only a few miles.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I've been using the BBC weather site for the last couple of years to inform me of the likely weather when I go beach fishing. Temps and wind speed have been pretty well spot on for Hythe and Dungeness (RYE) Whether it will be dry or showery has also been spot on.

At home high up on the downs it can get a little tricky, often "the weather" slips past down each side of the high ground, many times we watch storms passing by to the south, probably over Wingham :), or north out towards Whitstable, distances of only a few miles.

Den

I agree Den. They are getting pretty damn good at it these days. People seem to forget or are not ware that the Met Office are there for a lot of other things apart from the forecasts for the telly.

All you have to do is look at the weather predictions and watch them change overnight to see how good they are ,if they are not accurate overnight they havnt a chance in hell over a week nevermind any longer period

They now use the "fish" effect ,if they over estimate everything not many will complain if its better than they say it will be .

In the last doom and gloom rubbish and "high" winds the biggest gust here was 13mph !

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

So are airline companies and the ferry companies just wasting their money when they buy weather forecasts? Should the airline pilot just wet a finger and stick his hand up in the air before he heads across the Atlantic, and keep a bit of old bladder wrack in his hip pocket?

Some of you people nedd to get real, move out of the 19th century and into the 21st.