Which travel boat rod?

kobb

Hi guys, need to buy a travel boat rod for trip to maurituis. Hope to catch tuna etc. Will also use rod in UK for conger etc, hence ideally need something between 50 - 80lbs line class. Thinking about the Shimano Beastmaster 4pc travel rod (line class 30 - 50lbs). Alternatively get a 2 piece or short 1 piece that could go into a rod tube. Anybody have any experience with these type travel rods? Any advice appreciated.

KOBB

Hi guys, need to buy a travel boat rod for trip to maurituis. Hope to catch tuna etc. Will also use rod in UK for conger etc, hence ideally need something between 50 - 80lbs line class. Thinking about the Shimano Beastmaster 4pc travel rod (line class 30 - 50lbs). Alternatively get a 2 piece or short 1 piece that could go into a rod tube. Anybody have any experience with these type travel rods? Any advice appreciated.

KOBB

kobb talk to Jackeyboy on the TSF sea forum. He lives and fishes in Mauritius so can help you out with local info.

regards Bronzie

I used a Beastmaster Stand-up travel rod 20-30 lbs class for catching halibut in Alaska last year.

Great rod, and heavier in class than the 20/30 label. I'd recommend this rod for fairly heavy duty work....eg congers in the UK.

They also do a 30/50 if you want to go "extreme".

the 30/50 is a very pokey rod. i've got both and the 20/30 handles fish to 50lbs no bother so a 30/50 will handle bigger fish.

kobb,

my mate had a 198lb black marlin on the 30/50lb exage in kenya this year (see this months sea angler)

he also had GT to over 50lb on it and found it a bit heavy for them, the 20/30 might be a better rod, but with respect dale, there is a huge difference between a 50lb cod and a 50lb GT or yellowfin tuna, and you have to allow for the unexpected fish like a marlin on shark in tropical waters.

the first week we were in kenya a german guy tried to catch giant trevally on 12lb and 20lb gear and never got one off the bottom, switched to 30lb and landed 4

you should also be thinking about which reel to go with it as with fast running fish like tuna there is no point in matching a good rod with a cheap reel which will melt or explode on the first run.

davy used a TLD20 full of 60lb braid for his fish

hope this helps

les

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

• 6 years later...