Your biggest fish!

adambroadley

Coarse Fishing  

37 members have voted

1. 1. The fish you like to catch best...

• Carp
    • Tench
    • Roach
    • Pike
    • Catfish
    • Salmon

Mike mine a Grey Mullet of the thick-lipped variety.

Does "in a river" inlude estuaries?

EVER caught?

I managed to get about half of a 20lb ish red snapper into a drop net and haul it on to the poop of a bulker, before the barramundi could eat all of it. That was lying at anchor off Parkers Point, Dampier, WA, whilst we were waiting to fill up with ore.

Does that count?

We used to see a few Great Whites too, but thats for another post.

Don't think that's quite right, mate. Barramundi don't have teeth and don't "eat half a 20lb fish" like that......Most likely the culprits were bronze whaler sharks; millions of 'em around Dampier.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think that's quite right, mate. Barramundi don't have teeth and don't "eat half a 20lb fish" like that......Most likely the culprits were bronze whaler sharks; millions of 'em around Dampier.

Yeah your right, I kind of bashed that reply real quick, without thinking. It was BARRAcuda not BARRAmundi. BTW I have never caught a barramundi, but I thought they were predators, surely the must have teeth?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have never caught a barramundi, but I thought they were predators, surely the must have teeth?

No teeth in the mouth, just a rough pad. Like Mahseer, Chub and Perch (All of whom are predators with no teath in their mouths) though, they do have a set of crushing plates and pharangyl teath at the back of the throat.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No teeth in the mouth, just a rough pad. Like Mahseer, Chub and Perch (All of whom are predators with no teath in their mouths) though, they do have a set of crushing plates and pharangyl teath at the back of the throat.

OK. Perch I can relate to. No I think it was barracuda that were attacking everything that we caught. I caught one or two of them, and they sure as hell had teeth, whatever they were.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Your poll is a bit woolly Adam.

What are we voting on? Best/favourite/biggest fish ???

Biggest is the humble carp, best has got to be the barbel, from a river anyway.

Your poll is a bit woolly Adam.

What are we voting on? Best/favourite/biggest fish ???

Biggest is the humble carp, best has got to be the barbel, from a river anyway.

Barbel, the prince of the river. :)

atb

malc

Biggest from a river - 21lb 8oz pike

Best from a river - 10lb 10oz barbel

Biggest buzz from a river - a stalked 3lb odd chub

Paul

Biggest from a river - 21lb 8oz pike

Best from a river - 10lb 10oz barbel

Biggest buzz from a river - a stalked 3lb odd chub

biggest fish from a river

carp 43.14oz

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Yeah your right, I kind of bashed that reply real quick, without thinking. It was BARRAcuda not BARRAmundi. BTW I have never caught a barramundi, but I thought they were predators, surely the must have teeth?

No worries, mate. Here is a pic of the business end of a barra...........as opposed to a 'cuda

083977.jpg

It went 1.11 metres and about 56lbs

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

No worries, mate. Here is a pic of the business end of a barra...........as opposed to a 'cuda

It went 1.11 metres and about 56lbs

Interesting. It may not have teeth, but it sure has got a gob on it! Edited by corydoras