River Trent - Nottingham

SimonT

Hello,

I'm planning on a few visits up to my old stomping grounds on the Trent once the season's underway. Usually fished Beeston Weir area which has been somewhat hit & miss (for me anyhow) over the last few years compared to 20 years ago or so when the chub were pretty much climbing up the rods...Happy days after school, rod strapped to Raleigh Europa, wicker basket on the back etc etc..

I'm thinking Wilford & the Vic Embankment may be worth a go, but as it's pretty much feature less I've no idea where to start?

Also never fished downstream of Nottingham - anyone recommend some good day ticket stretches that side - particularly stretches where trotting works well?

Thanks,

Simon

If your local top nottingham simon your best bet is to join Noots AA or something like that, you get a lot of water for £35 a yr beeston weirfished very well early mornings last year for me lots of barbel and chub, you get all of the once famous rd stretch up to stoke wier and gunthorpe wier too {members only} which looks extremly good or did yesterday :P {no pun intended} as for victoria emabnkment give tim aplin a ring at matchman supplies being virtually on the doorstep he should know {the flats used to be the pegs but im going years back now}if you fancy a trip in the season drop me a line.:)

Nice one, thanks for that - always considered joining Notts Anglers, but I live in London now so don't get so many trips. Haven't seen a bailiff in over 10 years at Beeston Weir?

Reckon I need to review my tactics if it's been fishing well, I've been fishing the standard hemp/caster feeder, legered meat..

I'll be up for a session or 2 in July...can't wait. Enjoy fishing the Thames down here but the Trent is it for me.

On the subject of the Trent, does anyone know how far upstream the Barbel fishing goes? The likes of Burton and Stoke are as close to where I live as some of the stretches of the Severn I've been fishing.

Edited by Rob Ward

The island at stoke wier is controlled by ashfield anglers if thats any help most of the rest down stream is notts aa as for how far upstream the barbel go id say all the way if your talking swarkstone end near burton river trent au natural

Hello,

I'm planning on a few visits up to my old stomping grounds on the Trent once the season's underway. Usually fished Beeston Weir area which has been somewhat hit & miss (for me anyhow) over the last few years compared to 20 years ago or so when the chub were pretty much climbing up the rods...Happy days after school, rod strapped to Raleigh Europa, wicker basket on the back etc etc..

I'm thinking Wilford & the Vic Embankment may be worth a go, but as it's pretty much feature less I've no idea where to start?

Also never fished downstream of Nottingham - anyone recommend some good day ticket stretches that side - particularly stretches where trotting works well?

Thanks,

Simon

There's tons of day ticket stretches downstream of Nottingham. Holme Pierrepont section for one. Also the north side of the river above Gunthorpe bridge. Embankment stretch is still "free" ie never checked. Notts AA web site has a list. email me at tgsmith @ bigfoot.com for any more info!

You a nottinghamite as well then Trev? And if you are do you know any decent barbel/chub swims i havent tried yet? :)

Edited by markp

You a nottinghamite as well then Trev? And if you are do you know any decent barbel/chub swims i havent tried yet? :)

Two problems - firstly I am a relative newbie so am unsure of where best to target barbel and secondly, I don't know where you've tried already!

I do know that just below the weir at Holme Pierrepont (actually, where the canoeing course enters the river) is supposed to be good for barbel (at least, it was last summer). There's chub all over the place in the Trent.!

Not much help - sorry.

Have been targeting the Finger Lakes at Holme Pieerepont for the big tench in there - had some to 5lb but they go a lot bigger. Also double figure bream and a good head of pike and carp.

Thanks lads, I'll definately take this on board & venture east this season...got a feeling it's going to be a great one, for the fishing, if not for the Magpies.

Is anyone still using steak these days? tried it last year without a sniff.

cheers

Thanks lads, I'll definately take this on board & venture east this season...got a feeling it's going to be a great one, for the fishing, if not for the Magpies.

Is anyone still using steak these days? tried it last year without a sniff.

cheers

nah -- I stick to maggit and corn as I know they work! Well, usually... :blink: