Pike Takes A Duck - Video

On page 188 of my 1st Edition (1953) of "Still Water Angling"

"The frequency with which pike attack and eat moorhen is well known. Most anglers at one time or another will have seen a moorhen vanish with an anguished cry in the middle of a mighty swirl."

There followed a suggestion that involved shooting and skinning a moorhen , sewing the hide over a carved balsa body and attaching trebles to the legs, The main line would be attached to the neck so as to give it a realistic bobbing motion.

We heard no more, so presumably if it were ever tried it didn't result in any big pike.

There are plenty of black bass baits imitating frogs and rats - not seen a duckling-based lure though - has anyone else ?

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

There followed a suggestion that involved shooting and skinning a moorhen , sewing the hide over a carved balsa body and attaching trebles to the legs, The main line would be attached to the neck so as to give it a realistic bobbing motion.

We heard no more, so presumably if it were ever tried it didn't result in any big pike.

There are plenty of black bass baits imitating frogs and rats - not seen a duckling-based lure though - has anyone else ?

A quick search on Google images will show plenty of duckling fishing lures. Whether anyone has caught anything on one may be another story.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A quick search on Google images will show plenty of duckling fishing lures. Whether anyone has caught anything on one may be another story.

I dont see why they wouldnt you just have to look at some of the lures going about these days to see pike dont really give a crap what it looks like. seen em go for wood chip and salt n vinegar mcoys.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

"wood chip and salt n vinegar" flavour......yep, that's about right for McCoys :icecream:

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

http://dgfishtales.blogspot.co.uk/2011_04_01_archive.html

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.