Barbel rigs for a small river

Anderoo

I'm getting my plan together for the start of the season and was wondering about using leadcore. I'll be fishing small, fast, clear rivers and I imagine keeping the line hidden is very important. What I'm looking for really is a tried and trusted leger rig that doesn't involve leadcore, so any tips would be welcomed. I think I'll mostly be using a lead rather than a feeder. Because of the nature of the rivers I don't think backleads would work.

I like to keep things as simple as possible - as long as they work B)

Cheers :sun:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting my plan together for the start of the season and was wondering about using leadcore. I'll be fishing small, fast, clear rivers and I imagine keeping the line hidden is very important. What I'm looking for really is a tried and trusted leger rig that doesn't involve leadcore, so any tips would be welcomed. I think I'll mostly be using a lead rather than a feeder. Because of the nature of the rivers I don't think backleads would work.

I like to keep things as simple as possible - as long as they work B)

Cheers :sun:

As our North American cousins say: "K.I.S.S." - Keep it simple, stupid.

No need for anything but a very simple rig for barbel until the fish themselves decide to get complicated.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Leadcore kills and is not at all necessary.

Simple rigs are all you need. I have never had to use complicated rigs for Barbel.

If you are using braid use a sinking braid. Heavy metal also helps you pin rigs to floor.

I also think leads as apposed to feeders is a wise choice.

Paul

Anderoo,first of all let me say that Im no barbell expert.I dont get the chance to fish for them anywhere near as much as I would like.Due to this I do tend to use a "matchmens" style of aproach and go for as many as possible during my limited trips rather than sit it out for a big one.Ive caught hundreds in the 4-8lb range but only one double (and at 10.8lb only just!).My credentials or rather lack of them made known I will say the following.

I have noticed over recent years a great advancement(?) in barbell fishing. This has coincided with the growth in numbers of anglers targetting barbell.Most of these anglers have came from a carping background.I feel that not only the baits and rigs reflect this but also the now god like status bestowed on both the fish and need for designing/using hi tech rigs.More of a case of the anglers being in the mindset they have becomed used to rather than the fish dictating it!

IMO wise words from Paul indeed.Let the fish dictate the way you need to fish for them rather than fashion.KISS

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I fish a small river which is low & clear. As the others have said 'keep it simple' I use a simple rig using braid, I have brown & green but that's as complicated as it gets.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Cheers all :)

I should point out that I'm not a 'carper' and I'm not yet a barbeller. This was something I read on another forum for a specific problem on a specific river, which I'm not going to name. The barbel there are very cute and as the river's so tiny any kind of line off the riverbed causes them to spook. One guy said the answer was to use leadcore, so I thought I'd run it past you lot.

I'm not a fan of complicated rigs as I said in my first post. A shot on the line would be ideal but how would you conceal the line in fast(ish) water? Would simply fishing downstream do it - i.e. the fish comes to the bait first?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music