Barbel rigs for a small river

Anderoo

The thing is if the barbel are spooking off rising line then why not increase you hooklength accordingly? Fish a three or four foot length of line from the lead. Get them feeding first, thats the single most important way to get barbel to drop their defences. The rest comes naturally.

wolf.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is if the barbel are spooking off rising line then why not increase you hooklength accordingly? Fish a three or four foot length of line from the lead. Get them feeding first, thats the single most important way to get barbel to drop their defences. The rest comes naturally.

Spot on SW, in a swim where I had the problem, I found the same thing, increase the distance from weight to hook. The same with streamer weed, I've gone up to 6ft, so that the weight rests on the upstream part of the weed, and the bait runs under the weed where the barbel are waiting.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Just to add that when I fish the Teme and can get away with it, I always prefer to freeline.

Just let the hook bait find its own way and it is usually where the fish are hiding.

Paul

something different, the river in question would also suit a float attack, so to speak, fish with a foot of line between the last shot, and spread the shot out, so they drag. all the barbel ive caught on the thame have been on float fished maggot, fished at the speed of the current, ok they were small barbel, but surely the same applies with larger specimens. barbel, (ok not as much as trout who are adapted to feed on insect larvae in the process of drift among other things) will be used to picking, or sucking in items of food that bounce down the river in the flow, and if a floatfished maggot or two bounces past, would the barbel possibly use its mouth before its brain, for fear of losing the meal, unlike with a static bait, which it can think about for longer before taking it.

It is a shame how such basic angling fundamentals (like suggested by several on here) seem to have been totally forsaken by modern anglers who are so immersed in the need to use complicated set ups. This whole "hi-tech" culture is "sold" to modern anglers by the press and tackle firms.

Lengthen/shorten hook lengths, up and down on hook size etc seems to have been replaced by add another swivel/bead/length of lead core/back lead/kitchen sink! Like I said a definite overflow from modern carp thinking and not always for the best.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

kitchen sink

Budgie - you gotta post a picture of the 'kitchen sink' rig. It may not be worth using but it will surely be worth seeing. I think I coulda used one to hold bottom up at Amble since we were drifting pretty fast but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to attach the thing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Use a "kitchen sink link", blimey some people are really stoopid. :D;)

Fox don't make one, Mr. Smarty Pants, and if it ain't Fox, it ain't worth having. :nonono:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It is a shame how such basic angling fundamentals (like suggested by several on here) seem to have been totally forsaken by modern anglers who are so immersed in the need to use complicated set ups. This whole "hi-tech" culture is "sold" to modern anglers by the press and tackle firms.

Lengthen/shorten hook lengths, up and down on hook size etc seems to have been replaced by add another swivel/bead/length of lead core/back lead/kitchen sink! Like I said a definite overflow from modern carp thinking and not always for the best.

i see your point, when you look through angling catalogues, you are showered with deviations on certain themes, such as hooks for example, long shank, short shank, wide gape, teflon coated, etc, ok certain varations will work better in certain situations than others, but other than hooks actually opening up, i have yet to see a difference, or a difference in performance between alot of the hooks. they are obviously aimed at the part of the anglers mind that wants something it hasnt yet got, to add to the array of goodies in the tackle box. i think life in general gets alot more materialistic as time goes by, it often seems that products are seen as the solution to problems, when a change in its application or the mental approach given to it would help more.

sorry to deviate from the post anderoo, best tip i can give, just get out there and give it a go!