Barbel rigs for a small river

Anderoo

all fish can be hard work gozzer...as hard as you make it.

barbel are not the most gifted of fish i will leave it at that......

go for it anderoo,alarms?never heard of the famous six foot twitch then!?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all fish can be hard work gozzer...as hard as you make it.

barbel are not the most gifted of fish i will leave it at that......

go for it anderoo,alarms?never heard of the famous six foot twitch then!?

Just to help us poor anglers who appear to make "hard work" of catching. :)

Which fish do you see as the "most gifted", Russell?

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

chub and carp are very very wary fish especially the bigger ones!

Just like any other fish really, at times. :)

I'll leave it at that, and wish you luck with your "easy" Barbel :thumbs:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

haha ok

dont fish for em these days mate,still like em tho!

personally i use leadcore when i think its neccessary, purely for line control and to be 100 per cent sure that the line isnt going to spook the barbel. the water that i mainly fish for barbel on is about as pressured as they come, is small and crystal clear and it gives me confidence that the barbel arent going to be knocking the line causing the little twitches that someone referred to earlier. dont get those at all just whoosh and we are away.

as for leadcore being a killer, possibly in the wrong hands, but then what isnt, certainly braid can be, yet i dont see the barbel police on this one.

nee nah

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Leadcore gets a lot of stick that it doesnt realy deserve.Most guys who are against it are only so because of what they read.Thet have usually never used it!

Like Mark says a lot of tackle (in fact nearly all) can be dangerous if not used correctly.

I wouldnt mind betting the "Barbel Police's" real bone of contention with it is that it comes from carping!They seem to have a real problem with the "carbelling" aproach.

If I was in a situation where I thought it would help I wouldnt hesitate to use it no matter what the species.

No wonder it has got such bad press when even the angling paper's technical experts show a wrong way to use it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As you say Budgie, I've never used lead core, and I won't knock it for that reason.

I'm a bit of a Luddite, I try to keep my rigs as light and simple as I can. To me angling is about pleasure and confidence, and I don't get pleasure from casting a multitude of swivels, tubing, wires, beads etc, I try to solve any presentation problems as simply as I can. That way I feel more confident and thus enjoy it more.

It's not everybody's thing, but it's my thing. :)