THE BARBEL ARE COMING. . . .

big tinca

Ant looked so forward to a river season as i am doin this year jus hope its going to be a good season bring on the BARBEL

So bored of lakes now

Pygocentrus Piraya

Ant looked so forward to a river season as i am doin this year jus hope its going to be a good season bring on the BARBEL

So bored of lakes now

Not quite bored of lakes :blink: but I know what you mean!

I can't wait to get on the Swale for the Barbel & for (my version of a lottery win) a double figure Bream..I know they're there.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Not quite bored of lakes :blink: but I know what you mean!

I can't wait to get on the Swale for the Barbel & for (my version of a lottery win) a double figure Bream..I know they're there.

Are the bream a result of the stocking policy Peter? They've come on well if it is.

I've never had a Swale bream.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Plenty ov good deep stretches that would be perfect for Bream

Starting on the Swale on 16th on the Cundall stretch

Pygocentrus Piraya

im limited to canals only, being too tight to buy day tickets for the lakes, also they are too busy for me so i dont bother anyway, even if they were free to fish. there is no mystery in my local lakes really, except wilstone reservoir, but im not tempted to wait on its banks for two weeks for a fish.

I have never, well cannot remember being as excited this time around. I have not been out since March 15th and am really looking foward to the start of the season and catching up with some old faces.

Just hope the Barbus Barbus have spawned and want to play ball.

Paul

Are the bream a result of the stocking policy Peter? They've come on well if it is.

I've never had a Swale bream.

They are indeed Gozzer, I think the original stocking was done quite a few years ago, which would account for the doubles. There are skimmers in quite a few areas now so it would appear that they've bred ok, but the Pike predation is substantial in places & that may account for their patchiness in location.

You're not on your own, there's no shortage of people who've never had a Swale Bream, I've only recently broke my own duck! When I've had my dream Bream I'll let you know where they are :yeah:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I was REALLY buzzing about the start of the season and getting out for the first time after a barbel - but yesterday evening while walking the stretch I was planning to fish I got chatting to an old boy who told me that I'd be wasting my time. There used to be loads of barbel in this river, and some very big ones too, but their numbers have dropped year on year, and last year was the first year he hadn't caught one. So, I'm feeling a bit deflated. All the other rivers in the area are the same too apparently. I knew they weren't exactly crawling up the banks, but I didn't know it was that bad. The trout have taken over, it seems. Plus the crayfish, mink, otters, and water abstraction.

Shame. :(

Still, I got a few good tips for monster chub and perch, so it's not all doom and gloom :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I was REALLY buzzing about the start of the season and getting out for the first time after a barbel - but yesterday evening while walking the stretch I was planning to fish I got chatting to an old boy who told me that I'd be wasting my time. There used to be loads of barbel in this river, and some very big ones too, but their numbers have dropped year on year, and last year was the first year he hadn't caught one. So, I'm feeling a bit deflated. All the other rivers in the area are the same too apparently. I knew they weren't exactly crawling up the banks, but I didn't know it was that bad. The trout have taken over, it seems. Plus the crayfish, mink, otters, and water abstraction.

Shame. :(

Still, I got a few good tips for monster chub and perch, so it's not all doom and gloom :)

Maybe the old boy wants them all to himself, there's probably loads in there. :D

Just hope the Barbus Barbus have spawned and want to play ball.

Last time I targetted barbel on opening day they were at it like rabbits :(