THE BARBEL ARE COMING. . . .

big tinca

Maybe the old boy wants them all to himself, there's probably loads in there. :D

No, I don't think so - although the thought had crossed my mind ;)

I'm still going to give it a go. If nothing else, it's a beautiful, quiet stretch of water, and I know there are some good trout and chub in there so I don't expect to blank. But it has made me think seriously of tench rather than barbel...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm really looking forward to opening day too, Got myself a ticket for a river I've never fished before, the Roding in Essex, I'm planning on a roving day and will be happy to catch just about anything, but am really hoping for a nice mixed bag of roach, chub and perch and dace!

Mat

Mat

I was REALLY buzzing about the start of the season and getting out for the first time after a barbel - but yesterday evening while walking the stretch I was planning to fish I got chatting to an old boy who told me that I'd be wasting my time. There used to be loads of barbel in this river, and some very big ones too, but their numbers have dropped year on year, and last year was the first year he hadn't caught one. So, I'm feeling a bit deflated. All the other rivers in the area are the same too apparently. I knew they weren't exactly crawling up the banks, but I didn't know it was that bad. The trout have taken over, it seems. Plus the crayfish, mink, otters, and water abstraction.

Shame. :(

Still, I got a few good tips for monster chub and perch, so it's not all doom and gloom :)

It wasn't Ken L you were talking to was it? ;)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...opic=63700&st=0

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think the Barbel may leave spawning late again this year. I just want to be there when them big girls have finished and their attentions turn to feeding again.

Paul

I think the Barbel may leave spawning late again this year. I just want to be there when them big girls have finished and their attentions turn to feeding again.

Same here im really hoping for a gud year :P

Pygocentrus Piraya

Same here im really hoping for a gud year :P

I had quite a good season last year and a friend of mine, mentioning no names :rolleyes:

Had a great year. Even better than what I had, the git :angry::lol:

Paul

I had quite a good season last year and a friend of mine, mentioning no names :rolleyes:

Had a great year. Even better than what I had, the git :angry::lol:

Dont worry mate i think i am in for a pasting this year. :blink:

atb

malc

On the hunt for another double this year would b a gud target for me

The swale seems the best river round here for barbel heard ov a 13lb fish gettin caught at Thornton Bridge

Pygocentrus Piraya