Nonsense Figures

Found this intriguing as so many love to latch onto figures

BBC News Item

From year to year the ammount of heart attacks suffered is bound to flux, like other things, such as the ammount of beer i may consume, or **** i may talk. These changes are for no particular reason, it just means that on the whole, people in Wales were luckier than the year before :D . Some people do love to latch on to these nonsense figures but they are highly likely to be politicians or The Sun newspaper readers with about as much sense as **** badgers. I say forget the figures and live your lives, they won't change it for you. Btw, i dont smoke and yet i'm not bleating on at people saying, "look, dont smoke, after the smoking ban in Wales there was 13% decrease in people dying of heart related problems". And anyway, while i'm on the subject, maybe it was due to people colesterol busting and eating rivita diets and muching leaks instead of red meat.

Anyhow, signing off

Maxaldo

Its called Post hoc ergo propter hoc Latin for 'after this therefore because of this'. Yet another logical fallacy. If Critical Thinking was taught in school less of the public would fall for this twaddle.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Found this intriguing as so many love to latch onto figures

BBC News Item

A great article which many people would do well to read. I always find the selective reporting of statistical information as laughable. Too many people are unable to think around what is reported.

For example they always quote x % of crashes are due to alcohol, but by definition 100-x% are not due to alcohol, and that figure is always larger. So does that mean drinkers are safer drivers than non-drinkers ? Of course not but missreading the statistics could lead you to that conclusion.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

It's a bit like saying "lots of pubs have closed after the smoking ban, therefore the smoking ban is responsible for the closure of lots of pubs" :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

It's a bit like saying "lots of pubs have closed after the smoking ban, therefore the smoking ban is responsible for the closure of lots of pubs" :rolleyes:

CORRECT. :rolleyes:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Is it statistically correct that the statistitions who correlate statistics, are statistically more likely to talk a load of BS? :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Is it statistically correct that the statistitions who correlate statistics, are statistically more likely to talk a load of BS? :unsure:

John.

It is a statistical fact that 93.275% of all statistics are invented :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

He has a green house, a white car, a large dog, and is a homosexual.

You have a green house and a white car so be careful. If you get a large dog, you will become homosexual.

That is the sort of brilliant cause & effect thinking that is all too common these days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

He has a green house, a white car, a large dog, and is a homosexual.

You have a green house and a white car so be careful. If you get a large dog, you will become homosexual.

That is the sort of brilliant cause & effect thinking that is all too common these days.

Phew, glad I decided against the big dog and went for a hamster instead ! ;)

Rob.