DELL QUAY 17 FOOT DORY

sam-cox

Guest conger tamer

steve

you said it would need 50-100 to get 25knots,i take it is a very heavy hull?? i had a orkney strikeliner16+ 25hp would do 22knots whats your view?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevie cop

Those were just rough figures based on guesswork!

I would imagine you would need about a 50 hp engine, but the boat may take up to 100hp. I've got a Wilson Flyer, (17ft dory), with a 55 hp motor and it'll do 23-24 knots. Sharkbyte has the same boat as me but with a 70hp motor, and I think he gets a few more knots. I think the Dell Quay may be a bit lighter, so with a 50hp motor you should get at least 25 knots, maybe more.

If the foam is water logged, you'll probably struggle to get on the plane with a 50hp motor, and if it did get up, you wouldn't make more than about 15 knots.

tyhanx again for the comments,

I have a 60hp comming for the Del Quay, the troble is it comes with a 17 foot micra plus, im planning on putting my old 35hp on the micro plus and selling it, its been sprayed white and has a new deck glassed in.

Me Dad has built 3 charter boats, so ive employed him to do all the major work to the Del Quay,

we took over 500lb of soaked foam out of her, she now has 3 bulk herads glassed in, she will have six snifferners and will end up being layed up heavyer than a new one but much stronger and m,ore water proof. We will put new foam in.

I will be very happy with 24 to 25 knotts so i can cruse at 17 to 20 knots.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Thanks Folks

"Sitting straight" is a good idea - and something I would hopefully see anyway, but (IME) always useful to point out the obvious!

The speed thing is somethiing I had not thought about. Thanks a lot. HOPEFULLY!!! I would also be able to see if the boat struggled to get on a plane..............or fail altogether.

The one I am sort of looking at has a 70 hp Suxuki 4 stroke - the seller says apparently good for cruising at approx 20 knots (without flogging it's n#t's out) with a top end of around 25ish - not being a motorboat man this sounds well "in the ball park" for a 17 foot dory. and also not far off the mark for the advice I have got here.

The engine has a recent service history (from a firm I dealt with a few years ago - which gives me a great deal of comfort) - which I figure is where most of the value of this boat is..... just don't want to buy something with an immediate large bill - or which will "help" me learn to swim........ a couple of miles offshore!

Thanks a lot = advice much appreciated.

DavidDavid - excellent that you can get a 4 stroke outboard on it. And I hear good things about that maker.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

this sound like a good buy.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Guest stevie cop

The four strokes are a little bit down on performance compared to the equivelent HP two strokes, but far more economical. Suzuki is a good make. The new OMC four strokes are Suzukis!

It all sounds good, but do give it a sea trial before buying it.

maybe see if you can get it waighed, im not sure how much a new one ways, but my dad and i litrily dug over 500lb of soaked foam from mine.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.