Which fly rod?

dickandjill

Hi

I'm of on holiday to Scotland soon and fancy having a go at flyfishing for brown trout in the hill lochs around Applecross.I sea fish often,mostly light spinning.but have never fly fished.

I have been recommended to get a 9ft-9ft6in flyrod taking no.6 or no.7 line.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable cheapish travel fly rod? It will probably only get used once or twice a year (unless of coarse i get the bug!) therefore I don't want to spend too much at the moment.

I have seen the Shakespeare Odessey Telescopic Fly Rod but haven't heard good things about any telescopic rods.Anyone any ideas?What are their travel fly rods like?

Also would this size of rod be suitable for a bit of light flyfishing in the sea,say for mackerel,bass etc?

Thanks

Richard

The Greys G series is a good dependable beginners rod stay away from the telescopics.

Harris have them on offer at 25% discount at the moment look at:

http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/product.asp?prodid=15060

The 9'7" 6/7# would be ideal for a beginner and would be OK for Mackerel and small Bass (remember to wash it down in fresh water afterwards), it's 3 piece so handy for travelling as well.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Hi-would not argue with Tony re greys.

If you want a knock about rod-Fladen are quite alright.Can pick em up on ebay very reasonably.I had one for ages-7 weight,no probs with it at all(4 peice).i am told that the 8 weights and above are very unforgiving.

certainly agree with Tony-give the tele's and dual type rods a miss.

Hi

Thanks for yor replies.

I have been offered a Daiwa Whisker wf 98-9'6"ft rod but he doesn't know the line rating.Does anyone know what it would be?Also whether it would be suitable for a bit of sea fishing when I'm not on holiday?

Thanks

Richard

Hi

Thanks for yor replies.

I have been offered a Daiwa Whisker wf 98-9'6"ft rod but he doesn't know the line rating.Does anyone know what it would be?Also whether it would be suitable for a bit of sea fishing when I'm not on holiday?

Thanks

Richard

I think the 9'-6" is a 7/8 weight,dont take that as gospel though/

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks for yor replies.

Thanks

Richard

I have a Diawa Whisker WF 98-9'6" and is rated #6-8

• 1 year later...

diawa whisker -fly rod

I would like to know from anyone who might have the info on where one can find the top half of this fly rod,

or even a whole one.

Broke yours in Australia, was a comment made from a friend of mine.

Have contacted the manufactures who stated that they had not made this rod for two years.

Does anyone have the knowledge of where one can do fly fishing in the state of Victoria,Australia.

I know of Lake Eilden, but that is all. Somewhere near to Melbourne would be great.

Regards

John

Hi

I'm of on holiday to Scotland soon and fancy having a go at flyfishing for brown trout in the hill lochs around Applecross.I sea fish often,mostly light spinning.but have never fly fished.

I have been recommended to get a 9ft-9ft6in flyrod taking no.6 or no.7 line.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable cheapish travel fly rod? It will probably only get used once or twice a year (unless of coarse i get the bug!) therefore I don't want to spend too much at the moment.

I have seen the Shakespeare Odessey Telescopic Fly Rod but haven't heard good things about any telescopic rods.Anyone any ideas?What are their travel fly rods like?

Also would this size of rod be suitable for a bit of light flyfishing in the sea,say for mackerel,bass etc?

Thanks

Richard

Orvis Frequent Flyer, Redington Wayfarer, Greys Missionary are all OK though I'm not sure I'd try out fly fishing buying a rod for over £100. Shakespeare used to make a TravelFly that was fine and cost £45. If the Odessey is anything like it that would probably be a good place to start.

Don't rule out 4 piece rods. These aren't necessarily classed as travel rods, but none the less pack down quite small. This might open up your options.

If someone offers you a rod nice and cheap, say£20 to £30 - perhaps the Whisker ? - perhaps you should buy that just to see how you get on with it. If you get the fly fishing bug you can invest in something a special.

A rod suited to saltwater and to mountain lakes is a bit of an ask. A 6/7 is probably a minimum for saltwater and a 7/8 is more realistic. While these rods will cast allow you to cast to mountain lake trout, the fish which average quite small will not put up much of a fight....