Possible tank poisoning.

glennk

I use my tank to keep peeler crabs. Most years this works fine. However this year im having problems with lots of deaths. Possible causes include poisoning as I think some diluted Jeyes fluid may have enetered the system several weeks ago now.

If poisoning is the cause what are the solutions? Will partial water changes do the trick ? or should I start from scratch. If starting from scratch should I completely clean out the filter ?

Edited by glennk

I use my tank to keep peeler crabs. Most years this works fine. However this year im having problems with lots of deaths. Possible causes include poisoning as I think some diluted Jeyes fluid may have enetered the system several weeks ago now.

If poisoning is the cause what are the solutions? Will partial water changes do the trick ? or should I start from scratch. If starting from scratch should I completely clean out the filter ?

Hi there,

If Jeyes Fluid got into your system it's probablly best to strip down, scrub everthing in clean fresh running water and then do the same for your tank and filter :blink:

Seriously the Jeyes will have killed all the surface / filter bacteria that break down the nitrate and ammonia and any trace of the JF will most likely prevent the bacteria building up again. You may also need to think about replacing the media in your filter to ensure all traces are removed.

Once everything is scrubbed you will need to cycle the tank for at least four to six weeks to allow the bacteria to build up again to a level that will support your crabs. There's a full explaination of the process here:

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Len

Personally id start from scratch and just clean owt the whole filter but why not start by doing regular water changes see if it helps

Keep checking your water parameters u sure its not Amonia build up in the tank?

Pygocentrus Piraya